My chicken (and duck!) experience so far

StacyAK

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Eagle River, Alaska
This all started back in the spring when I began tossing around the idea of getting a couple chickens. Yes. A couple! As in 2 or so... Began doing some chicken research and looking around my property for the perfect coop location. Picked out a couple potential coop spots and decided with all the work involved in building a coop and run that the chicken thing wouldn't happen until next spring. Then, on one of my wanderings to find the perfect coop location, I realized that my grandpa's garage (that sits practically in my back yard) has an old chicken coop built onto the back of it! Jackpot!! Went and asked him if it would be ok if I fixed it up and used it in exchange for him getting eggs and he was A-ok with it. Yay!

I promptly got online and got my chicks ordered. I already had the breeds picked out that I wanted (and by this time I had gone from 2 chickens to 6) ordered 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Easter Eggers and 5 Rhode Island Reds. 15 total, silly minimum orders.. We got right to work building a brooder box, fixing up the coop and building a run. Coop and run ended up being WAY more work then I thought it would be. Doesn't help that (according to my brother) I apparently built the Chicken Taj Mahal (I will be naming the coop this)

A week before my chicks were due to arrive I started thinking about ducks. Did some research and found that if they are raised with the chickens and are not males everyone seems to get along fine. Well darn-it! My chicks were already ordered and on the way! Too late to get ducks to raise along with them now!! I decided to search Craigslist without much hope of finding anything (I live in Alaska and this was the beginning of August) I found a guy who had ordered 10 ducks but only wanted 2 (darn minimums) and they would be arriving 2 days before my chicks were getting here. I texted him and he said he had one female Pekin and one female Chocolate Runner left. I had been planning on only getting one duck but a duck needs a duck friend right? So, reserved them both.

Just in the last few weeks I've managed to finish the coop and run and get everyone moved out there. They seem to be enjoying it and no issues so far. They sure are easier to take care of once they are out of the house!!

Oh by the way. Once the chicks arrived I had too much trouble picking out just 6 to keep. So I kept 10! Haha! I thought people on here were nuts when they said chickens were addicting!!!

Puddles and Splash

Chicks are here!

Ducks weren't playing nice so I had to build a wall. Everyone got supervised together yard time until they were all getting along

Now they are friends :)

Bath time!

Hmm. Time to upgrade to a bigger waterer

This one is so sweet and likes to sit in my hand. I will name her Omelette.

Treat time!

Trying to catch "some" of the water the ducks like to slosh

Time to start using the lid

Getting crowded

The coop (before)

All clean

Framing in the walls and nest boxes

Starting the run

Still working on the run but they've outgrown the brooder box

First time having access to the outside. They aren't sure what to do

"Hey there's bugs out here!!"

Omelette

They grow up so fast!

Thats AWESOME! With a coop and run that size, over the years you can keep expanding with your flock. Though I would keep it to a minimum of 20 or 25! Have fun!

awe I love watching all the babies grow up. Love the ducks!! I wish I could get a couple but hubby is content with just the 3 guineas and 10 chickens.

What a fantastic documentary you have there! I love it! They sure grow faster than a weed, I think!! You've got beautiful babies. Love your coop, you did some real nice work, and its huge too! They're all going to love it! Thanks for sharing with us all!

I kept reading everyone's posts about having to expand their coop/run or wishing they had built everything bigger so they could get more chickens. So I just decided to go big right from the get-go! :)

Wow! thats a really nice coop! You did a wonderful job! I too have both chickens and ducks.. pekins. I love them! I got one as a child for easter when it was a duckling. It used to take baths with me, and my dad made ramps all over the house for it. It had a ramp up to my bed and a ramp to the bath tub; a ramp up to the couch.. anywhere you could think of.. the best part was going for swims and playing with it in the kiddie pool. Now that i've grown up ive gotten a bunch more and my kids love them too! Good luck with everything!

Back
Top Bottom