My chicken are suffering from FLU

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mateeb4u, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mateeb4u

mateeb4u Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    hy to BYC
    i bought 8 chicken , 4 of them are adult and laying eggs, and other 4 are at the age of about 2 to 3 month , after the purchasing of some days my little 4 chicken got flu, and about 2 to 3 weeks they are suffering , 1 one of them has serious flu , she breathing hardly and breath by her mouth by opening , she become weak , and sleepy, i also notice no growth in my 4 infected chiks, what i do, tell me solutiom, i also give them human flu medicine, but no recovry, other adult hens are alright, what is the name of that disease, thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.

First thing first - your birds likely have one of the respiratory infections that poultry is susceptible to, but they do not have the flu. Human medication is not appropriate and, in many cases depending dangerous and deadly, so you will need to stop using such medications on your flock.
    Can you tell us more about the specific symptoms your birds are showing? This will help to narrow the possible causes. The best scenario, though, is to have a diagnosis from a veterinarian - either by having blood drawn from a living bird or a necropsy performed on a deceased bird. The correct treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Ol Grey Mare X2 Chickens don't get human flu. They most likely have a respiratory ailment going on and need antibiotics. If you are seeing runny noses, watery bubbly eyes, sneezing, raspy breathing, breathing with beak open, get them on some Duramycin or Sulfadimethoxine. You can order these on line. Some feeds stores carry the Duramycin. If one of them has an infection, so do the rest of them so treat all of them. Most respiratory ailments make the birds carriers for the rest of their lives.

Good luck and I hope you can get them healed up soon!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Hope she recovers![​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I hope your hens get better! It does sound like they have a respiratory disease. I would start them on some antibiotics.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X2 on the above posters.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member