My Chicken Artwork. What do my Fellow BYC'ers think?

Here is one of my mid term projects. It doesn't have to do with chickens but thought I would share. :) Comics are definitely not my strong point but for my first time I think it is pretty good. It is a story about how the zebra got his stripes. I got the story from an old African folk lore. Tell me what you think! :)

Sorry about the watermarks. Can never be to careful when on the internet!

Darling Tammy,

And you're thanking me! This could become quite repetitive back and forth! Lol!
wee.gif

I'm honoured by your sweet offer of friendship and offering yourself as a support RA person. The same goes for me, of course! If you need a shoulder or just someone to listen, I'd be honoured.
frow.gif

Isn't it lovely when one develops a special saying, symbol or something special that's unique between your children! Something to always treasure.
hugs.gif

BTW, what do you mean "just PM me." ? Post Message? Presumably.
roll.png

Thank you for the advice and the links. I will certainly look into them.

Short one tonight!
duc.gif
lau.gif

Best wishes,
ChickyChooky (Dresdel)
hugs.gif

P.S. Now that I've found the "Smilies"........................... !!!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Thank you so very much for all you said. It really meant a lot.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry you have RA as well. You could very well have Fibromyalgia (FMS), as many times the two go hand in hand. A lot of people develop FMS after getting RA. Injury can also set it off. It sounds as though you need a new doctor...it's terrible that he didn't check you for FMS instead of dismissing things. I know that finding doctors that have a good bedside manner and who are understanding and sympathetic can be hard these days though. I've had to try out quite a few different doctors before finding good ones. My Rheumatologist I have now isn't the greatest, but he's far better than the one I had.

There are other medications out there for RA and other ways of going about treating it (if medications that you can tolerate cannot be found). A really helpful website out there is rawarrior.com. The website is a wealth of information. The owner of the site is working very hard with others to bring more awareness and more funding to RA research as well. She, as well as others, are also fighting to get the name of this disease changed from Rheumatoid Arthritis to Rheumatoid Disease because it truly is far more than just arthritis. Another great site is rheum4us.com (it's the RA Patient Foundation).

I'm glad I gave you incentive. Bless you too for all of your kind words. I'm so sorry to hear about your father, but am glad he has you.

Thank you about my avatar...it's not my work, but I thought it was cute. My user name is a play off of "Guess what chicken butt?" that my daughter use to say. We'll all say it to each other now and laugh, lol!
smile.png

If you ever need someone to talk to about your RA...or just anything in general...feel free to PM me. And again, thank you so much!
hugs.gif

Best wishes to you as well!

Tammy

Quote:

I have great respect for both of you going through what you have been. I know I already have issues with my right hand and neck and I'm only 20! I know it is definitely nothing compared to what yOu both have been going through. I have a dear friend who has the same ailments and I do barn work for her when she is in to much pain to do so. If only things like this were as easy to be rid of as a cold. Hopefully one day it will.

Hmm yeah. I tried another kingfisher. I had started on another which I was going to do the confinement being positive an example being pregnant/ the womb. I started a X-ray view of a chicken egg but stopped. It's sad to say but people at school give me a lot of grief sometimes for doing chickens and it gets to me... It's hard to defend myself inform of my class. I wish I had done a battery cage hen but my class wouldn't understand the gravity of the conditions and why I drew it. They would probably say something along the lines of, "why couldn't you have used something like a person in a box?" (Which half the class did mind you!) or "why not a "insert random animal/ object"?" Or they all would have sat there in silents. It is so frustrating that I have a passion out side of just art school and because no one understands it they think it is stupid. I know I'll probably get grief for this one because it is a bird too :/. Oh well I'm just ignoring my niece classmates for the most part now. I wish I had seen your suggestions earlier before I started. I guess now I put a "deeper meaning" on this one. Kind of the circle of life/ even the brave are striked down (using a beta which is as many know a aggressive fighting fish). Kinda an abstract piece but I'm gladiator was finally able to do something fairly realistic. Also thank you so much for your input. I rarely get very much creative criticism :).

Seeing that picture would have turned me off as well. But looking at it in the bright side these facilities look clean, well kept and there are windows. I, of course, prefer to have my chickens free roaming but if they absolutely HAD to cage them like this that facility looks pretty good. Still not ideal but better than those horrid ones that I'm sure everyone has seen and gotten quite upset about.

Heres and update on what I am working on.

I'm so sorry to hear about your hand!
sad.png
It's certainly not a good thing to have when you have so much talent and you're so young in your life. Repetitive Strain Injury? Or, are you saying that you have the beginnings of RA as well. If it is RA, I've found Glucosamine Chondroitin Joint Support made by Blackmores very helpful but that's a company here in Aussie land. I'm sure USA would have a company producing something similar.

In my humble opinion, I think you worry too much about what your classmates think... but I think you are aware of that, anyway. In a way, it sounds as if they mean well and (maybe some) are just trying to help. You know what is one of the funny things in life? Each of us humans worrying about what others may think, trying to fit in with the "norm" (whatever that is!), trying to balance whether to follow "peer pressure" or not, whilst all the while just trying to be ourselves! In reality, we are all unique individuals which, of course, creates a "Catch 22" situation! So, I think you made the right decision for yourself.

All you need to worry about is a) Are you covering all the aspects of the brief? Just make sure you tick all the boxes. b) Ask your teacher's/tutor's/lecturer's (or whatever they're calling themselves now!) advice. He or she is the one who counts. Right? I've been studying myself and in one subject, I, didn't really agree totally with my teacher and went ahead with my idea anyway. Result: Didn't quite get the mark I wanted. The next time that I didn't agree with him (I didn't tell him that), I took notice of what he said and leaned my artwork towards his advice. I received a higher mark. Later, I did my own private and personal version.

In Multimedia, which I'm studying now, a Design teacher told me that I "couldn't" use a 3D affect for a Logo as it was considered bad practice or not very professional. He did say that if I can put forward a good enough argument or reason for doing so then, he might change his mind. When I did just that, he made no comment and just walked away! Weird! Anyway, a year later, 3D Logos started appearing in the professional Design Industry! So, there you go! Teachers are just that, teachers who do their best (if they're a good one!) to guide you towards what they believe will help you in your future employment. What you do after you leave the college or school, is up to you. You are your own boss then, depending on what your aim is, of course. But, your decisions are your own.

As an artist, it's often hard accepting creative "suggestions". Try to take the word, "criticism", out of the equation. That's your subconscious speaking. (unless the teacher calls it that!
hmm.png
Replace it with the French word, "critique"!) My suggestion is to not let that get in your way as a developing artist. You are already an excellent one. You're just developing your own personal style. Don't forget, your fellow students are in the same boat. If you've got some nasty personalities there, well, just try to ignore them. They're probably feeling threatened by your talent and are actually showing their jealousy. If they can get to you and put you down in a subtle way, they're succeeding in making themselves feel superior, which, of course, they're not. They're hoping, therefore, in making you feel inferior, when you're not! My way of handling such people in my past, was to compliment their work with a show of genuine interest. That usually makes them feel so much better about themselves that it seems to reduce their need to attack you, verbally speaking. That's just my experience, anyway. Though, looking at your work from a different perspective can be a good thing. Admittedly, it does depend on where it is coming from.... and how it comes across. Anyway, you can take it or leave it, can't you!? (Hey! I've been told that using "?!" is bad grammatically, but if I feel it expresses more about what I mean, then, I use it! Lol!)

Gee! I hope this doesn't sound "preachy!" It's just my experience in similar circumstances. It doesn't mean that it is the only way. It's just how I handled it. I've got 30+ years on you
old.gif
but that doesn't mean that you can't give me advice or suggestions. I believe this world is like a great school where we are all learning from one another no matter the age, race or social status.

I love the idea you had on "positive confinement". If the brief or the teacher didn't state that it had to be negative, well, why not?! You don't give yourself enough pats on your back.
thumbsup.gif
You certainly came up with some good reasons and additional symbolism for your present artwork: the Kingfisher and the Beta Fighting Fish including that hook, I think are great. You should be proud of yourself!

I'm sorry too, that I haven't been online more often. I will try to do so. i.e. if you'd like to use me as a sounding board. If you find my attempts in helping you annoying or irritating in any way, just let me know. Yes. I might be a little hurt by it but I'll get over it! Lol!
hit.gif
caf.gif
If you disagree with something I say, tell me and why. That's fine. Sorry, Abigail, but you come across to me as someone who lacks a little self-confidence. Probably because I was the same at your age. I, also, suffered a lot from bullies during my school years and my parents didn't know how to help me other than to say, "turn the other cheek". Nowadays, people know a lot more about how bullies think and work so their advice wasn't actually the best choice. But, they did the best they could with their knowledge.

Did you notice that you said, "but I'm gladiator was finally able to do something fairly realistic." Your subconsciousness was saying that you are a fighter! Lol! You were probably thinking it at the time!
wink.png

I was just thinking about what you said about having a passion outside of art school and that your classmates don't seem to understand. Ask them what their interests are and press them for more information about those interests. If they start talking enthusiastically about one of those interests, then, after listening to them, you could point out that their enthusiasm for Football, Basketball, Sci Fi films or books, (or whatever) is how you feel about birds. Actually, you must've noticed that some of your fellow artists individually have their own "favourite things" to draw, e.g. fairies, dragons, robots, cars, Manga style, etc. So, they probably have outside interests too. You're not really alone in this. My problem has been that I've always been interested in too many things at a time! Lol! Admittedly, there are some people who do only have one interest. If you think about it, that's very limiting. Yours is your art and birds. So? It might become your specialty in your artwork. There's nothing wrong in that. You wouldn't be the only artist who has a particular specialty. One of my fellow art students had a passion for penguins and it showed in quite a bit of her artwork.

I hope what I've shared has helped in some small way.
old.gif

I'll sign off now as one of my dogs is barking at me for their dinner! Poor things! Better go!
D.gif

Again, your artwork is great!
bow.gif

BFN
ChickyChooky (Dresdel)
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom