My chicken ate a mouse..

I just saw one hen today with a frog. Was trying to get a photo and next thing I know it was gone so I guess she swallowed it whole. Not sure if it was dead or not. She wouldn't stay still with her prize. Wouldn't let me upload the short video.
I've tried to give them small mice the cat or dog killed but they have never eaten them.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 10
Chickens are like little omnivorous dinosaurs. If its' made of meat and it fits in their mouth, they'll try to eat it. Geckos, frogs, centipedes, mice, baby rats seems to make no difference to them - its all protein!

As long as you don't have poison laid out for the mice (in which case it didn't ingest poisons) there's not a problem. I'd commend her on her catch!

When I uncover nests of pinkies (baby rats before they get their hair) I place it in the yard and watch the piranha-like feeding frenzy that ensues, glad to know that many fewer rats won't be around to plague us.

I was so sad because I love mice lol but we have been having a mouse problem from the chicken food and I guess the chickens are better mouse catchers than my cats lmao

Back
Top Bottom