1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My chicken ate a peice of a tarp...now what??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bec, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok....so while cleaning up the yard this past weekend, we threw out an old ratty tarp that was falling apart. Apperently one of my girls thought one of the strands looked appetizing and ate it. She had it hanging out of her mouth and when I pulled, only a few inches came out. I cut it off and she swalloed it. Will she pass this? She was out and about today and eating and drinking.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, all you can do is wait and see. I bet she'll pass it no problems.

3. Bec

Oh I really hope so.....she was running around today so lets just keep our fingers crossed!! [​IMG]

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    They eat anyting that moves or does not move. I'm sure it will pass. I've told my wife that if they weighed 200 lbs those chickens would eat us.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I told my DH not to drop dead in the coop because they'd probably eat his body! Ours kill and eat mice and rats. Blah.

6. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wait and see....My chickens eat crazy things like feathers and forign things. Not to be gross but......I have a duck that ate a chicks leg when the chick was killed by a raccoon. I was out cleaning everything up and I turned around to get the other parts and my duck had a leg sticking out of his beak. He was ok. I was worried since it was too long to go down. Im sure he was very incomfortable for awhile.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You could offer a little olive oil to 'help things through'.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Blech...that's why my Dh doesn't want to eat the girls' eggs.[​IMG]

9. Bec

I think she is just fine!!! She hasn't missed a beat!! She is just happy and out foraging around!!!

Thanks for all the support and making me feel much better!!! You guys are awesome!!

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    It would only cause a problem if the piece is really long and got tangled as it worked its way through. Most likely it will pass right through.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by