My chicken ate my earring!

Wow, you're chicken has diamonds for grit in her gizzard!?! I bet you can feed her anything now and it will get crushed up!
wink.png

Seriously though, I hope you can find a way to retrieve it without putting her down, but also understand if that's what you choose to do.

I too lost a diamond earring to my chicken. She pulled it out about 4 months ago and I haven't seen it since. I collected poop for over a month and went thru it diligently every week, but never found it. I put the poop in the compost and am hoping I may find it when I screen it this spring.she just laid her first egg this morning so I've been joking that it's inside the egg. Good news is she was fine after eating the earring. We just call her PRECIOUS now

Tell ya what... I'm willing to buy that naughty chicken from you for $20! You really don't want her hanging around do you?

x2
Diamond will be unlikely to show up on an x-ray, but metal will. If you can see the post, the diamond is probably near by. If you can't see the post, the diamond could still be in the gizzard acting like a rock. If you want really want it back- you will either need to keep all poop from this chicken and wash and screen it indefinitely or go in and get the diamond- easiest way is to dispatch and open the gizzard. I would get the x-ray if possible to see if there is any evidence that the thing is still in there.

Quote:
Diamonds are transparent to X-rays. The gold will show up------that is if it hasn't been in the gizzard long. I always cut open the gizzard when I butcher my chickens, I've found many odd pieces of stones (Glacial rock remains from the soil) polished to a pretty hue. I once found a glass marble frosted-ground down to 1/3 the original size. Chances are, the diamond is still in the gizzard helping grind up grains.

My dh said I don't have to kill my pullet if I don't want to. He gave me the earrings 29 years ago and isn't worried if I don't get it back. I will call my local exotic vet today to see how much an x-ray will cost. I don't know if I can keep her in the chicken tractor indefinitely to continue collecting her poop. She's used to being behind an electric fence on pasture and is going nuts in this small space, 12X4X4 feet. I'll keep her there as long as I can, going through her poop everyday.
Thanks for everyone's help.

BTW, she isn't for sale!

So if many people on this thread believe that an earring will eventually pass through the gizzard into the poop of the chicken, will GRASS eventually pass through the gizzard, into the poop of a chicken? Just trying to help my chickens, because after slaughtering a rooster and opening its gizzard I saw how much fibrous material was in the gizzard and I'm very worried that my chickens have nearly impacted gizzards... I want to know when the grass will pass through them, and I am not letting them eat grass until I figure out this problem...

Yes, grass will pass through. Many people withhold food prior to processing to minimize the amount of food that is in the gizzard and intestinal tract prior to processing. The first rooster I processed, I kept him separate from the flock with just water. What I didn't take into account was that the area I was keeping him segregated had grass in it, so the gizzard was full of grass.

More recently I took a roo off the roost at 5am to try and process him as empty as possible.

Thanks so much for the reply! Maybe I am overreacting--- that makes sense about how if I didn't withhold food, the gizzard and crop would be full... I hope that is the case!

I have a pet turkey that just swallowed a ring my fiancė owns. It was a small little vending machine ring that he wore on his pinky so no harsh metals or stones. She was playing with it and swallowed it. I made a post in the turkey forum but since the scenario i similar i want to ask here as well. Will she be alright? Would it just pass through her naturally?

-Vampire

Back
Top Bottom