My chicken ate weed killer! Please Help!

FriendlyFlyer

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Ok, so today a man came and threw down what he calls weed killer granules I'm sure there is an actual name for them but I don't know it. Long story short, my chickens (7) got out and I do believe all if not a few ate a few pieces of the granules. Can someone help me. Are my chickens going to get poisoned now? Will they be ok? What signs should I look for that indicate sickness? PLease give me any advice you can. I'M PANICKING!!

This happened to me. My chickens did not show any signs or symptoms of sickness and they just started to die. Chickens can not throw up and are unable to get the material out of their stomaches. You have to wait and see what happens. Mine started to die after about 24 hours.

I hope you have better luck than I did!

Please keep us posted.

When a chicken suffers from poison, you can hasten its recovery by flushing its system with a laxative that absorbs the toxins and removes them from their body. Although a solution of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) makes the best flush, birds dont like the taste of it, so they must be treated individually. If a number of birds are involved, or handling them could cause stress, use molasses in a complete flock flush. Flush only adult birds, however-never chicks.

Epsom salt flush: one teaspoon (5 ML) Epsom salts in 1/2 cup (118 ml) water, poured (dont drown them though by doing it fast. Do it slow and let the bird swallow) or squirted down the bird's throat twice daily for 2 or 3 days, or until the bird recovers.

Molasses flush: one pint (0.5 L) molasses per five gallons (19 L) water, left in drinker for no longer than 8 hours.

Sorry it took a while to get back. Thank you so much!!! They are doing well now!
celebrate.gif

Sorry it took a while to get back. Thank you so much!!! They are doing well now!
celebrate.gif
I know this is from a long time ago, but did you use one of the flushes listed above for your chickens? I’m trying to decide what to do with mine that ate some granules.

I know this is from a long time ago, but did you use one of the flushes listed above for your chickens? I’m trying to decide what to do with mine that ate some granules.
What did you end up doing and how are your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom