My chicken can't get up...

dusty48

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Central Kentucky
Hi. i am new to this site..my problem is i have a hen who is 6 months old and is unable to stand upright. she moves around on her belly. she is eatting and drinking. she does not seem to have any injuries to her legs or feet. she does appear to have a broken wing. i have been reading about merek's... but i do not think this would be it...........please help with any suggestions

i think this site is AWESOME!!

Welcome to BYC!

It is so hard to diagnose chickens, because it seems like every time they get sick it looks like Marek's.

Marek's is very rare, so it is probably something else.

If you give a bit more info, it will be easier for one of the local experts to help you.

What breed is the chicken? How long has she been like this? Why do you think her wing is broken, and when do you think this happened? Do you see any blood, or bones protruding? Has a predator gotten into your coop?

What do her droppings look like? What are you feeding her?

Good luck with your chicken.

hi renee.

my chicken is a black australorp and she is 6 months old
she has been like this about a week or little longer. no varmints have been in the coop. only us humans , the wing is loose at the first section compared to the other wing. there are no bones or blood. her droppings are typical not runny or unusual we have been feeding them cracked corn and house scrapes on occasion. she eats and drinks good. just cant stand up on her legs and when she tries, she falls over to the left.

thanks bonnie

Hi Dusty,

Your chicken may be suffering from malnutrition.
Corn does not have enough protein and vitamins to keep chickens healthy.

I am no expert, but my first move would be to isolate her where she will be warm.

Buy layer's pellets and either bird vitamins like Avia Charge 2000 or baby vitamins like Polyvisol liquid, since she may have a vitamin deficiency.

In the morning try feeding her cool scrambled egg and either put a drop of the Polyvisol on her beak or put a few drops in her water, or if you can find Avia Charge, mix it according to the directions.

Other than that, keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom