My chicken can't walk! help!

Quote:
By economically I mean 'money'. I find absolutely no point in supporting an animal who cant pull its own weight, therefore in MY flock or hutch or herd she would be culled. And I have went down the healthcare road and found that culling is much quicker and less expensive. I cull yearly by my own preferences in both the meat rabbit, and layer flock.

We keep hens in Boston, MA and they are more like pets now than livestock. Also although we have six hens we only get about 2 eggs a day. at least two of my hens aren't laying but I think it's mostly because they just finished molting. We have chicken tractor which is what Duck went in all day today. But it's kind of cold so if it takes a long time for her to get better than I don't know what to do.
smile.png
hmm.png

Quote:
X2. I would do the same.. Your a good person
hugs.gif

Are you implying that I am not? When I wouldnt keep a chicken who is injured and costing ME money to raise her......the OP asked what she should do and I said cull.

Quote:
X2. I would do the same.. Your a good person
hugs.gif

Are you implying that I am not? When I wouldnt keep a chicken who is injured and costing ME money to raise her......the OP asked what she should do and I said cull.

Hi im not implying your not a good person at all! Like she said each to your own what she does... Sorry that you think that im not here to offend anyone. Ive been in situations where ive had to cull too. Please dont think i dont for one minute think your a bad person.
hugs.gif
Tracy x

duck, my sick hen is not so bad today she was walking a little bit outside with the other hens. I completely agree that there are situations when you have to cull, but I'm hoping this won't be one.

Last night I let Duck sleep in the coop, in a nesting box away from the other hens. I was so worried that she would fall out and hert herself because she was sitting on a towel and was kind of wrapped around her which was a stupid idea. So I went out and checked on her at 12:30 AM and she was looking a lot better even then. Now she's favoring one leg over the other. And she's not better yet and I hope i'm not getting my hopes up to high.

Quote:

Hi im not implying your not a good person at all! Like she said each to your own what she does... Sorry that you think that im not here to offend anyone. Ive been in situations where ive had to cull too. Please dont think i dont for one minute think your a bad person.
hugs.gif
Tracy x

Im sorry I misinterpeted
hugs.gif
smile.png

today I opened up the chicken coop for my brother. Duck was STANDING on the roost right were I left her SITTING the night before. for some reason she didn't jump down.
now she is walking slowly but still she is walking which is good. Very, very slow steps. Now I must go to church but when I come back I will check on here again. Oh and thank you for all your great advice and opinions.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

12-year old aspiring vetinarian growing up in boston. Mother of 6 hens, 1 cat and 1 guinea pig and sister to 5 brothers and sisters,.

Back
Top Bottom