1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken caught a mouse!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iPeanut1990, Oct 25, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    She caught a mouse! A teeny cute grey one! I am half proud half traumatized. [​IMG] That poor little mouse was squealing so loud :( It's already pretty much gone but for future reference is it okay to let them eat small rodents? Is there any risk of disease I should be worried about? She is REALLY proud of herself lol

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    It's safe. But where there's one, there are many more.

3. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've seen one stealing food from the feeder a couple times so I got a new feeder and haven't seen it in a while. Poor little guy picked the wrong time to come back I guess. I don't know where they're coming from though.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    They are everywhere. I'm just glad we don't see them in my house but on some occasions. I'm sure seeing your chicken get a mouse would have better left unseen. [​IMG] But it is their nature.

5. iPeanut1990

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My dogs have killed things plenty of times but man chickens on the prowl are vicious!!

6. klilly20

klilly20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    She got the protein for the day. I got Rhode Island Reds and they are known to be good mousers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by