1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken Coop (New Photos)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scott, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Here are a few photos of my chicken coop and run. I started working on the coop some time in April, and the run was added earlier this month. The coop dimensions are 8ft x 8ft, and the run is 8ft x 10ft. There are two 8ft roosts, and two nest boxes on each side of the door. I plan on coverning the top of the run with clear or semi-transparent corrugated roofing panels. For now, I've got it covered with chicken wire. If you'd like, you can click here to see more photos of the my chickens and their set-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Looks awesome!
    Looks like it would be really easy to put together. [​IMG]

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Babies look mighty happy in there! Good Job![​IMG]

4. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Wow! Very nice!

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    good job

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Nice coop !

If your summers get above 80°, you may want to cover the run or part of it with something that is not transparent. Otherwise the sun will come through and the only place to escape the direct heat will be the coop. Shade and ventilation is very important when it gets hot.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Very nice indeed!

I do think you should think about how you can get into that run should you walk out there one day and find a chicken in trouble, though.....

8. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Yeah, I've considered that. It does get very warm here in summer. We're having 90 degree weather the past few days. If I had it to do all over again, I would have put the run on the other side of the coop where it is shaded by trees. There is a smoke-gray semi-transparent pvc panel that blocks out much of the sun's rays. I may ultimately go with that, or maybe cover half of it with clear paneling and the other half with solid paneling. Either way, I think you are right about the need to provide some kind of shade in the run itself.

9. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Thanks. [​IMG]

You can't see it in the photo, but on the far end of the run there is a hinged door that swings up and open. So, I can enter the run if need be, and it allows for me to rake out the run occasionally.

10. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I love the coop too but has anyone noticed that avatar!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by