my chicken died and I only had 2

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grandma chick, Sep 11, 2012.

1. grandma chick

grandma chick New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    I know chickens are flock animals but I don't know the best way to introduce a new chicken.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Your chicken would probably be happy to have a friend.
    I always introduced a new chicken at night, putting her on the roost. Then in the morning, the others usually didn't notice.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I can't say I'm very experienced in this area, but I do have some cousins who have added new birds to their flock. From what I've heard, you do NOT want to put the new chickens in right away, but let them be able to get used to each other through a wire fence or something like it. After a few days, not sure how long, while the origial chicken(s) are sleeping, add the new one(s) to the coop. This will keep the stress down on both sides and cut down on some of the drama........I am thinking of expanding my flock and will probably use this system unless I hear otherwise.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You can introduce at night - spray ALL with a vinegar/water solution which does help in them not distinguishing an alien smell from a newcomer - we have tried it with some success.

All the best

Suzie

5. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

my first thought was what killed the other chicken and is it somthing that the new chickens could get and die from or your left chicken may be a carrier. If thats been addressed or like dog attack or old age then i would do intraductions during the day where you can watch and maybe have them seprate for awhile between chain link fence to see how they are then if they seem ok then let them get togeather. good luck. I am also very new to this only had my babies from April this year

6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    yeah, I agree. i would wait and watch the chicken thats left for awhile. If it seems normal and healthy (eats well, breathes normal, etc.) I would think it would be fine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by