My chicken died during the night from some kind of tumor.....cancer??

izzy434

Chirping
5 Years
May 6, 2015
Poor girl. I noticed her standing away from the flock about one week ago. Walking and standing like penquin, kind of hunched over. I brought her inside and kept a close eye on her. I noticed she had a large swollen area just behind her vent. Kind of squishy with some kind of hard fullness too. I thought maybe egg bound, but no egg, but something kind of hard and full inside. Long story short, she died last night. I autopsied her and found some kind of huge tumor that looks like it had been growing for quite some time. I had no idea. It was a kind of light yellowish brownish color that kind of fell apart as I pressed on it. I am wondering if this is a type of cancerous tumor. I can send pictures, but I don't know if anyone would want to see it. It looks pretty gross, and it just breaks my heart of think of her struggling with this large mass of whatever growing inside of her, stealing her life. Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing in a chicken?

I can send pictures if that would be helpful.

so sorry about the loss of your chicken..I to had to cull one of mine I didn't do an necropsy but she passed a solid mass of tissue
she was swollen and squishy vent/abdomen area very slow/and also stayed away from the flock...I just know it was the right thing for the hen

I'm know losing a hen is tough. but it's better than her suffering
Michelle

BEWARE!! GROSS PHOTO ATTACHED.

I don't think it was egg yolk, because I could see how the tumor grew over time. Like there were layers of growth, like the rings in a tree, I could see when I broke the tumor thing open. It's gross. I will send a photo just in case anyone might know what this is. I can't believe this was all inside of my poor baby. All this stuff must weight 4 or 5 pounds. No wonder she could hardly walk.

I don't know how to cull a chicken. How is it done? I don't know if I have the heart to take a life. But I feel I should be able to do it, if it is necessary....but I have a hard time even killing a raccoon, so I know it would be hard to kill a chicken I love.

Too soft hearted I guess. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

Amazing how a chicken can develop tumors. My RIR died this morning. We have a vet here that takes care of fowl. Thought she was egg bound but he said she had a huge tumor.she was distant from flock and very swollen. Her comb and waddle turned purple and she wouldn't eat. So heartbroken.

sorry to hear about your chicken glad to hear I'm not the only crazy that loves her chickens. Its great that we this outlet for information. I wish I had some helpful info for you

BEWARE!! GROSS PHOTO ATTACHED. I don't think it was egg yolk, because I could see how the tumor grew over time. Like there were layers of growth, like the rings in a tree, I could see when I broke the tumor thing open. It's gross. I will send a photo just in case anyone might know what this is. I can't believe this was all inside of my poor baby. All this stuff muust weight 4 or 5 pounds. No wonder she could hardly walk. I don't know how to cull a chicken. How is it done? I don't know if I have the heart to take a life. But I feel I should be able to do it, if it is necessary....but I have a hard time even killing a raccoon, so I know it would be hard to kill a chicken I love. Too soft hearted I guess. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.
That is compressed egg yolks, classic perontonitis. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom