My chicken got electrocuted but lived! I'm not sure what to do going forward.

Miysh

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
My chicken is around three to four months old. We've been dealing with one (or multiple) predators harassing them for a week or so and I've been trying to narrow it down to what and how to stop it.
However, today I found one of my chickens hiding on a neighbour's window ledge screaming as if something was chasing her. I tried to call her down but she was too scared and flew towards the road. I was afraid a hawk would try to snatch her out of the air but she ended up flying straight into electrical lines twice and got shocked. She was extremely out of it and scared so it was difficult to catch her but after that she laid limp in my hands to what I could only assume was her sleeping or attempting to calm down.
I've since had her in the house but I'm worried about her making it till tomorrow. Is there anything I can do for her to make sure she'll live?

My chicken is around three to four months old. We've been dealing with one (or multiple) predators harassing them for a week or so and I've been trying to narrow it down to what and how to stop it.
However, today I found one of my chickens hiding on a neighbour's window ledge screaming as if something was chasing her. I tried to call her down but she was too scared and flew towards the road. I was afraid a hawk would try to snatch her out of the air but she ended up flying straight into electrical lines twice and got shocked. She was extremely out of it and scared so it was difficult to catch her but after that she laid limp in my hands to what I could only assume was her sleeping or attempting to calm down.
I've since had her in the house but I'm worried about her making it till tomorrow. Is there anything I can do for her to make sure she'll live?
If you can I'd get her to a vet or farm vet as soon as possible. Electrical burns can show up later on and can cause skin to die off in the burnt areas. High voltage such as the kind in power lines can also cause internal injuries.

I hope she gets better soon, best of luck to you & her!

If you can I'd get her to a vet or farm vet as soon as possible. Electrical burns can show up later on and can cause skin to die off in the burnt areas. High voltage such as the kind in power lines can also cause internal injuries.

I hope she gets better soon, best of luck to you & her!
Thanks so much! I'm going to try to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

This site is lit. I figured I would join, talk about some chickens maybe some other farming things. Boy, we are shooting dogs, talking city boys through necking birds, I saw a picture of a rat snake barfed up turkey today, This bird flew into high tension electrical lines. Anyway high voltage electrocution can cause damage to tiny blood vessels that could manifest itself days or weeks later. I like to mess with electricity and my wife was going to make me a t-shirt that said, don't fry your capillaries"

In human electrocutions, primary concern (assuming the hearts beating) is burns to the respiratory system, which can cause a quick suffocation by fluids leaking into the lungs. There is no home remedy for that, it's ER/OR. Second concern is fluid loss from the burns, which can "leak" out of cells internally. Electrocution victims get a couple big IVs and a lot of fluids along with O2. If she's willing to drink, I'd let her drink all she can. Last are any severe burns (through the skin) which not counting skin grafts, generally means cleaning, then placing a non-adherent bandage over the area (no creams etc. those are for external use only) If there are superficial burns, like really bad sunburn, then a topical burn cream can be used.

I'm new to chickens, but most of what I've read says human treatments for trauma are generally good practice for chickens. The good news is that even if you were directly struck by lightning, you still have a 90% survival rate.

If her breathing is okay after a day, I'd be pretty hopeful. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

I thought that if something flew into electrical lines they would have to touch two of them at once to get electrocuted?
I believe you are correct, as birds land on power lines all the time. But a chicken is big and has a longer wingspan so it could have the electricity arc between two lines while flying.

Back
Top Bottom