My chicken has a problem and it won’t go away

We have tried to do that multiple times but the big part is on the top. My other ones have the black scabs on their feet too but they haven’t swollen up yet. We have opened up the other ones too and used vetracyn and Silver sulfadiazine 1% cream. It just keeps coming back and on 2 chickens there skin was so thick I couldn’t get in there really. The first vet opened up the bottom but that didn’t help really. I have two options, either I open it up like on those videos with a razor blade or she goes to a different vet again.

I would strongly advocate trying PRID (can usually be found at Walmart- otherwise on Amazon- if you don't mind reading about bodily fluids and chunks being expelled from all manner of boils, badly ingrown hairs and the like, read the Amazon reviews) which is a drawing salve. It helps the body bring the infection up towards the surface. It may well swell more after the PRID is applied- it's supposed to - helping to make a path for whatever is happening in that poor foot! I would soak first, then apply the PRID to the entire affected area, put some non-stick gauze over it, and then wrap in vetwrap. Repeat another day or two.

I've linked the product and then a video about using PRID along with Epsom Salt soaks to relieve bumblefoot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smile-s-...Topical-Pain-and-Irritation-18-grams/12167279

I would strongly advocate trying PRID (can usually be found at Walmart- otherwise on Amazon- if you don't mind reading about bodily fluids and chunks being expelled from all manner of boils, badly ingrown hairs and the like, read the Amazon reviews) which is a drawing salve. It helps the body bring the infection up towards the surface. It may well swell more after the PRID is applied- it's supposed to - helping to make a path for whatever is happening in that poor foot! I would soak first, then apply the PRID to the entire affected area, put some non-stick gauze over it, and then wrap in vetwrap. Repeat another day or two.

I've linked the product and then a video about using PRID along with Epsom Salt soaks to relieve bumblefoot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smile-s-...Topical-Pain-and-Irritation-18-grams/12167279

Never would have thought of that. I will look at that.

How long until she gets it in the bone and died from it though?

I think infection can end up in the bone, but hopefully that doesn't happen. I don't think it's inevitable, as long as you keep at it! There's very little blood in opening up a foot. Really hope the PRID gets the core of the bumblefoot infection to make its way out - I think of these as the huge zit you know is there but can't get to...

I think infection can end up in the bone, but hopefully that doesn't happen. I don't think it's inevitable, as long as you keep at it! There's very little blood in opening up a foot. Really hope the PRID gets the core of the bumblefoot infection to make its way out - I think of these as the huge zit you know is there but can't get to...
She has been having cephalexin almost everyday, we forgot a few times. That should be keeping the infection at bay, shouldn’t it?

@Shezadandy has given you the same advice as I would. It hurts the chicken to have the bumblefoot cut into, but it's nothing they can't endure. They don't need to be anesthetized. There is extremely little bleeding. You need to cut out the solid pus. It will not aspirate as pus in humans can be as chicken pus is solid and waxy, so punching a hole is useless.

There are some bumblefoot that take a year or longer to resolve. Daily soaks, the oral antibiotic, both will keep her from getting the infection into the bones.

The hen I was treating had her bumblefoot when I adopted her, and I threw everything at it except for using a drawing salve. It's the one thing I didn't try with her, and I would today if she was still alive. Pine tar is another drawing salve used by farmers on livestock to treat wounds for 2000 years. If PRID is used on humans it will be fine for chickens.

Thank you for the link and video, I have been battling a case of bumble foot on one of my girls for months now, No matter how long I soak her, we just haven't been able to get the whole thing. I have ordered the PRID and will try it as soon as in gets here.

Back
Top Bottom