My chicken has a swollen eye (photos)

Mahmod123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
My chicken has a swollen eye it's been getting worse, I've put it in its own box away from other chickens, the chicken is quite young (not sure of the age) , it is a new chicken I got it a week ago , I can't really see any discharge. What could I do to help it.

Hi I'm sorry to hear that your chicken is sick. It could be a bad eye infection. Does she have any other symptoms? Like a runny nose watery eyes lathargic not laying as many eggs? What does the eye look like? Have you tried prying the lid open to see what's going on? Sorry for the questions but it may help her get better if we have more to go off of.

It does not have a runny nose, it hasn't started laying it's too young and I've tried opening the eye it wouldn't open I don't want to try too hard and hurt the bird

Ok so just the swollen eye. Is there any crust around it? Or does it have a weird smell to it? I would get some saline solution and a Cotten ball and begin cleaning the eye. It would be really good if you could flush it out and see what's going on. Maybe with it being cleaned it will make it a little easier. Also I would recommend dosing all chickies with symptoms with some Tylan 50 and put them in quarantine. If it is a respiratory disease then you can nip it in the butt and keep it from spreading but it also may help reduce swelling if its a bad eye infection. I've been fighting A bad case of CRD in my flock for the last 2 weeks and it seems to be hitting others hard as well. You can get Tylan at tractor supply or a large vet clinic for 13-20$. It is injectable but can be given orally. It's how I've been dosing mine.

Thanks for your help but if got no vets near by Ido u think the chicken will survive ? And is there anything I could do at home to help it

Here are some new pictures of him

I've just smelled his eye and head but it smells normal but there is crust around it

This is the 4th thread you have started in 2 days about this chicken. You might want to keep posting on this thread so that you won't keep getting the same advice over and over.

Back
Top Bottom