my chicken has barely any faethers left please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alphonzo, May 2, 2009.

1. alphonzo

alphonzo New Egg

Apr 28, 2009
    last week she lost nearly half her feathers all in one go and now she seems to not be losing them but not growing them either what could this be? [​IMG] she has just stopped being broody and now doesn't eat much. im pretty worried [​IMG] so if you know what this please post a comment here

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This site about feather loss may help.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

I would certainly check her for mites and lice, especially red mites. These hide in cracks and crevices during the day and attack the chicken at night. They are a real danger to a broody hen as she is weakened from the stress of being broody and can be attacked all day while she is on the nest. Check at night for red mites. A check during the day probably will not find them.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Recommended reading! Concise writeup about causes of feather loss, thank you for the link. [​IMG]

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Since your hen has just stopped being broody I suspect she is not getting enough protein or vitamins in her diet to grow many feathers. Give her a little cat food along. It is high in protein. If its just her breast area she has probably plucked it out to brood with. The skin is warmer to eggs than the feathers would be and she feathers her nest.
    Extra protein and maybe some poly-visol no iron vitamins may help her through this too. good luck with your hen. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by