my chicken has just died

grogan

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
I have three chickens all of whom were very healthy and running around my garden today. When i went out to put them to bed one chicken was sitting outside the coop looking unwell. I took her inside she was very cold and lifeless i tried to warm her up, but within half an hour she started fitting and a clear liquid was coming out of her mouth at this point my partner decided the kindest thing was to neck her. It was so awful and i have no idea what was wrong with i would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions of what could have been wrong with her.

I put your other chickens on antibiotics in their water source in case it was a bacterial infection that just got her really fast. keep an eye out for other signs but definitley dont let that go untreated!

just be careful about going to the vet, you need to know it will probably end with a pricey bill which you are willing to pay for your chickens. I get my antibiotics from my local farm store where i buy their chicken feed/ bedding. It might be worth a shot calling the place you get your supplies from and asking if they have any types of antibiotics that would meet your symptoms if you describe it to them. I would see the other chickens, pick them up listen to their chests- if you hear wheezing, or crackling anything that sounds like liquid in the lungs, it is probably an infection maybe mycoplasma. I have used Tetroxy antibiotics to help clear that up and it worked great. if I ever notice someones looking a little sluggish i add a bit of that to their water for a few days and they usually perk back up! I would also for at least an hour go and observe the behavior of your chickens. the vet or supplies store will ask you to describe how they are acting and if you can see any noticable symptoms, so you must check them out and examine them to be sure you can answer to your best ability! also check around your yard/ in the run if they are confined to the run. mold can be very harmful so if you find any keep it away from your hens dig the moldy area away and spray the area in a 1 foot radius to kill all live/ spores that could have spread! if your hen ate something bad for her that was poisonous, then that could be the cause.

your vet might take blood samples to see whats wrong with them, so your not playing as much of a guessing game. hopefully they will know whats wrong if you choose to go to them! good luck :) and I feel your pain you may be feeling, i had to watch two adorable chicks seize and die it is very hard to watch, its best to put them out of their misery if you can bear to do it!

Back
Top Bottom