My Chicken has sore eyes, please help!

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello there
smile.png

I picked up my pullet Laura to give her some petting, but I noticed that her eyes are slightly red and moist. Her eyelids are slightly swollen too and a flap on the side of her eye covers part of her eye. I feel sorry for her, but her behavior and health looks okay(eating, growling and pecking about), just a bit tampered by her lessened vision. She closes her eye when I hold her. What do you think is this sickness? Please help! I'll try to get a pic asap(camera's not working properly)

Thanks in advance!

I got the pics! Here they are:

ChickenEye.jpg

ChickenHead.jpg

ChickenInBetween.jpg

You can notice at the left side of her eye is a pink flap of skin covering a little part of her eye. The swelling seemed to have decreased, and her sight is getting better, but she closes her eyes when she is being cuddled. What do you think is it? Sorry for the low quality pics...... just using a camera phone!

Thanks in advance!

It is some type of infection for certain and will need to be treated with antibiotics. Maybe someone else with more experience can help from here. Meanwhile you might want to try and do an internet search on eye infections in poultry.

Looks like conjunctivitis to me (Pink eye). Same thing my big old lab gets. Terramycin twice a day is the way to go. My TSC sells an 1/8th oz tube for 13.99 (outrageous, but what can you do?) You only need a tiny bit in each eye, (say the corner) she ought to blink it across the rest of her eye.

Assuming it is pink eye she should be feeling better in a day or two. I don't know how long to treat a chicken, but in my lab it's a week to 10 days. Re-treat if it comes back for a longer time.

The tube will last a long time.

Thank you very much for the help, everyone.

She's improving as the days past and the flap blocking her eye has shrunk, although her eye is still moist and she closes it when being cuddled. I'll research more about eye infections. More help are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

try used coffie grounds, cooled off of course, sqeeze the juice of the coffie grounds in her eyes a few times a day trust me it really works. we used it on cats roosters even a baby boy his pink eye was gone the next day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom