My chicken has started attacking me?

iPeanut1990

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just went out to do my morning chores. This is the 2nd time she's done it this week. She starts flying up and tries to scratch me with her feet. She pecks my legs. I've been pushing her out of the way and carry on what I was trying to do but it seems to make her madder. I should note that I was on vacation for a week but have now been home for a week so I guess she doesn't recognize me? She wasn't doing it before I left but she's always been my most aggressive chicken. She is 18 weeks but not laying yet. She drew blood this time on my leg from her peck even though I was wearing pants. It hurts! What can I do?

Do you have a picture of her? This sounds like rooster behavior, not hen behavior, and I wonder if you have an unexpected rooster.

I'm pretty sure she's a she. None of them are crowing at all. At least I don't think so? Wouldn't we have noticed crowing by now? Here's a pic of her. I can get another one if needed. She looks just like my other pullets/hens as far as I can tell. She does have bigger wattles than the other 2 though and she's the biggest.

Last edited:
That comb is looking awfully rooster-y to me. Can you get a picture of her saddle and hackle areas? Does she have long, shiny, pointy feathers coming in in those areas or all they all still rounded? Many of my roosters never started crowing until 6 months old so you might not necessarily be getting any crowing yet.

That comb is looking awfully rooster-y to me. Can you get a picture of her saddle and hackle areas? Does she have long, shiny, pointy feathers coming in in those areas or all they all still rounded? Many of my roosters never started crowing until 6 months old so you might not necessarily be getting any crowing yet.

Ugh :( What do I do with her/him if she is a roo? We can't have roos in our city.

Here's more pix:

Here's the other one who looks just like her/him. Could this one be a roo? I posted a pic a couple weeks ago because I thought her comb was looking roo-y and the other 2 didn't. It was pretty unanimous that she's a hen. She's quite a bit more vocal than the other 2 but none of them are crowing.

And here's my lil peanut chicky:

Hope these help! Can get more pix if needed... I really hope I don't have 2 roos :(

I just went out to do my morning chores. This is the 2nd time she's done it this week. She starts flying up and tries to scratch me with her feet. She pecks my legs. I've been pushing her out of the way and carry on what I was trying to do but it seems to make her madder. I should note that I was on vacation for a week but have now been home for a week so I guess she doesn't recognize me? She wasn't doing it before I left but she's always been my most aggressive chicken. She is 18 weeks but not laying yet. She drew blood this time on my leg from her peck even though I was wearing pants. It hurts! What can I do?
I was gone for two.Mines remember me.Where does she do it?and do you show your toes?Is she pecking at them?If so she may think your toes are treats

I was gone for two.Mines remember me.Where does she do it?and do you show your toes?Is she pecking at them?If so she may think your toes are treats

No, I learned a long time ago not to go in the run with sandals on lol. All 3 will go after my toes if I do. She goes after my legs. She jumps up and tries to scratch me with her claws and she pecks at my legs at the same time. I just went in there to get the pix though and she didn't do it.

I haven't noticed any changes in her feathers. They've all looked the same for months now. I'm only noticing changes in their combs and wattles. And apparently their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom