My Chicken Has Worms - Please Help

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hey, everyone! I hope you all are doing well! So, as you might guess from the title, I believe my GLW, Minnie, has worms. Her poop has a greenish tinge, and I found a teeny tiny worm crawling around in it. It was very small with small fringe-like things along its side. Should I be concerned? And if so, any tips on the best treatment to do? Thank you!

do you have any pictures?
I wasn't able to get a picture of the poop - my chickens trampled it into the dirt...😕 Here is a picture of Minnie, though:
9B8C9B33-48B1-45D0-B31A-A5247C05D6C4.jpeg

She looks healthy and big. When I see worms I give dewormer drops for one or two days to the chicken that showed symptoms.

Other standard practices for worms are to deworm your whole flock since you saw one bird has them, and also some advocate deworming every 3 months but varying the type of medication each time. Depends on your birds and what is best for you too.

I personally use ivermectin 1% oral drops and it is good stuff. I don't like much the other drugs that I have tried.

Could the worm have been a maggot moving about in the dropping? If you see another worm in her poop, please take a picture. Chickens can get several types of worms, and the most common is a large roundworm. Others are cecal, capillary or threadworms, gape worms and tapeworms. Eye worm is a more rare type of worm. Ivermectin has lost some effectiveness in treating worms. Many people use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer to worm chickens. Those are very safe. Levamisole is sometimes used where the first two are not available, or if the owner wants to rotate different wormers. Piperazine is another one, and only treats roundworms.

Hey, everyone! I hope you all are doing well! So, as you might guess from the title, I believe my GLW, Minnie, has worms. Her poop has a greenish tinge, and I found a teeny tiny worm crawling around in it. It was very small with small fringe-like things along its side. Should I be concerned? And if so, any tips on the best treatment to do? Thank you!
Is this what you saw?
tapes seg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom