My Chicken hasn't started to lay...

I had 1 ISA Brown ( they look like yours ) who laid a month after her 5 cliquemates. Your first image, the hen doesn't have a large comb, if she is anything like mine it will grow and turn red in the days leading up to laying.

Yeah, I could tell which chickens layed first because the next few days their comb boomed and turned bright red. Thanks!

Mine are about the same age and haven’t started laying yet. They’re doing the ‘egg squat’ and making an awful lot of noise in the coop and one was sitting in the nesting box earlier today. But so far no eggs. But they’re just on the verge of being mature enough to lay and with the shorter days of sunlight now that fall and winter are approaching, it may be longer or even next year.

Thanks so much!

Please check her crop tonight at bedtime and again first thing in the morning BEFORE she has access to food and water. In the picture you've posted, I don't see her crop, and that leads me to wonder if she's being bullied away from the food. While you're checking the crop, you may wish to bring her into the house where the lighting is good and with a light colored rag ruffle her feathers, especially under her wings & at the tail and vent area. Examine her legs, and her feet both top and bottom. After the examination, examine the rag, if any of that dirt on them is moving then she's got external parasites. Feel at her keel (breast bone), is she bony or meaty there?
Her comb doesn't seem as red as her sisters' combs, this could be a maturity issue or a parasite issue. She also seems several ounces (a half pound maybe) lighter than her sisters; hence the exam.
Please keep us posted with your observations.

I wanted to add that I put diatomaceous earth in their food and their run/coop. Not sure if that would stop any parasites.

Excellent, that is as it should be at night, please be sure to check it again in the morning BEFORE she's had access to food or water. You'll be wanting it empty by morning.

Ok, so I was actually just wondering what the heck that bulge was, thanks for explaining that. So, I know that she does have that bulge at least part of the day. I'm gonna check tomorrow morning if it is smaller. What does it mean if it is still large before she eats in the morning? Thanks!

Edited: What if she doesn't even have any dirt on her legs/feet and wings (if she looks like the other chickens)?

Back
Top Bottom