MY CHICKEN IS DEPRESSED! OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE? PLEASE HELP!

I don't know what's wrong with your hen, but I hope she will get over it soon. I'm pumping this thread up so others can give you the proper advice. One of my hens doesn't get along very well with the other two. She does look "depressed" sometimes, but I think it has to do with the fact that she's the lowest in pecking order and the other two harrass her a lot!

So...as an update. My best guess is that my Dominique as been in the middle of a summer molt, and is just a bit sad from being on the bottom of the pecking order. I've been distracting her with some 'private time' in the dust bathing area, and sneaking her extra blackberries and treats, an her tail perks back up. She still hides in the bamboo, but I think that might be because some local, feral cats have been scaring the chickens, and scares her more than others because she is blind on one side.....

I have a lavender Americana around 2 yrs she arrived with her egg mate around Aug 2018. It took three months to stop her getting picked on and save her. She is back to acting depressed lost weight but eats still if i peck at the food she start. I literally carry her here and there and back on the perch with the others at night. If I dont she will go to my other side where I have anther coop and be by herself. Ive checked everything on her, there are no bad poohs, her butt is clear, no bugs and do fading of her skin or waddle. But i found these article interesting and horrifying.
Chicken Anemia Virus and Depression:
https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Chicken_Anemia_Virus_and_Depression
http://www.chicken-anemia.com/documents/idexx-elisa.pdf
http://www.chicken-anemia.com/disease/laboratory-tests.asp
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...on/overview-of-chicken-anemia-virus-infection

Last edited:
"While the symptom of depression in chickens afflicted with Chicken Anemia Virus has been reported by many different owners, the pathology is not known. Considering what is known about the pathology of CAV, it is likely that this is not depression stemming from a chemical imbalance in the brain. It may be best described as the "chicken blues." Just as a human feels sad when he/she has been sick for a long time, chickens with CAV may be exhibiting complex signs of emotional sadness."

"A particularly interesting aspect of Chicken Anemia Virus is its symptom of depression. The presence of depression in non-human mammals is disputed, and hardly found in animals beyond mammals. However, CAV is consistently seen to incite behaviors indicative of depression. Lethargy, social isolation, loss of appetite, and mental dullness are the most highly reported symptoms [1, 3]. The onset of depression implies that CAV may have greater effects beyond bone marrow atrophy and immunosuppression- it is a neurological infection as well."

So sad ;( IF she has this its highly contagious and im screwed...

Last edited:
"While the symptom of depression in chickens afflicted with Chicken Anemia Virus has been reported by many different owners, the pathology is not known. Considering what is known about the pathology of CAV, it is likely that this is not depression stemming from a chemical imbalance in the brain. It may be best described as the "chicken blues." Just as a human feels sad when he/she has been sick for a long time, chickens with CAV may be exhibiting complex signs of emotional sadness."

"A particularly interesting aspect of Chicken Anemia Virus is its symptom of depression. The presence of depression in non-human mammals is disputed, and hardly found in animals beyond mammals. However, CAV is consistently seen to incite behaviors indicative of depression. Lethargy, social isolation, loss of appetite, and mental dullness are the most highly reported symptoms [1, 3]. The onset of depression implies that CAV may have greater effects beyond bone marrow atrophy and immunosuppression- it is a neurological infection as well."

So sad ;( IF she has this its highly contagious and im screwed...
Any update? I have a hen that’s acting weird too.

Back
Top Bottom