Things aren't looking so good today. I'm at school right now so I can only hope that she's ok. I kept water in there with her which makes me nervous that she's gonna fall over into it and drown :( I have a feeling that I'm gonna come home to a dead chickie She just stays in the corner with her eyes closed and when she tries to move, she just falls over onto her face/side. I really hope that she's still alive when I get home.

You could try and give her vitamins/electrolites in water with a dropper, and possibly add some Corid, which is a strong antibiotic you can buy at the farm store (it's been years since I bought any, so I don't know if you can still get it without seeing a vet.)
I just had to correct this so someone doesn't go buy Corid thinking they're getting a strong antibiotic. Corid is for treating coccidiosis, it is not an antibiotic. And yes, you can still get it at feed stores, thankfully.
I do hope your hen makes it, Huntingchick. You're trying your best, and that means you're being a good caregiver to your bird.

I just had to correct this so someone doesn't go buy Corid thinking they're getting a strong antibiotic. Corid is for treating coccidiosis, it is not an antibiotic. And yes, you can still get it at feed stores, thankfully.
I do hope your hen makes it, Huntingchick. You're trying your best, and that means you're being a good caregiver to your bird.

Oh I am sorry, sbhkma is right! Corid is not the antibiotic. (I'm getting old--memory fails me at times). The antibiotic I bought long ago was called Tylan.

She's still alive, thankfully! I just called the vet and he recommended that she be anesthetized and flushed out. I asked the receptionist who answered, why not the surgery and she said that there may be problems with scar tissue after, but honestly, I would take that any day over her dying. She stopped drinking water so I just gave her about 2 mL of water via syringe. I was gonna try the oil again but I feel like I should just wait to see what the vet says.

There are quite a few people on this website that wish they had a vet close by that would treat poultry and fowl.

You are so blessed that there is a vet willing to help you and your chicken. :)

Whatever path you choose, I hope it's a happy ending.

So I got an estimate for the surgery to flush her crop. The lowest price is around $650. That is one of the most absurd prices I have ever heard. They wanted $73 just to watch her as she get off of anesthesia. I can't pay that kind of money!! What now? I feel like I'm back to square one :barnie

I think most of us would agree that it's a really expensive option. At this point all you can do is keep trying to get fluids down her and follow the steps on the thread about sour crop, then hope for the best. That really IS expensive. I pay half that to get 3 horses sedated and dental floats done, plus rabies shots...and my vet comes HERE!

Back
Top Bottom