my chicken is hurt :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babiidre09, Oct 24, 2007.

1. babiidre09

babiidre09 New Egg

Oct 24, 2007
    osceola, indiana
    the day before yesterday my dog got into the chicken coop's fence and attacked. some of them died [​IMG] while others were ok. but the one isn't putting pressure on her right foot. it doesn't seem to be swollen or discolored but you can tell shes in pain. i read somewhere that you can give them asprin for the pain so i did. shes putting more pressure on it and limping around, but is there anything else i can do for her?? please help, this is my first time raising chickens and this is my first injury [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its a good sign that she's putting weight on it.
    Are there any wounds?
    If not it may be a soft tissue injury.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    yes you can give aspirin for pain (one five grain aspirin in half a gallon of water)...separate her...wash her feet and legs good and put in nice clean cage or other area to limit her movement ... keep a good eye on her ...

4. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Welcome to BYC, sorry it's under these circumstances. My chicks aren't safe around my dogs either, have Boxer and Lab that would do the same. I say if she continues to improve, keep and eye on her, but I would consider separating her if she' doesn't improve soon.

Is your run enclosed completely, or can the dogs jump the fence. If so I would consider changing the fence heigth, door etc to prevent future dog attacks.

Sorry about your loss.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by