My chicken is lethargic and doesn’t want to move. Is NOT egg-bound.

-MochiPie-

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
Hi everyone! My chicken started acting like this yesterday. When I went out to the coop, I thought she was dead. She was laying under the henhouse area but in the run and had to get her out with a rake. We put her in her own large cage with food and water and we had to leave our home. We thought maybe she was egg bound but is not. I know she’s not egg bound because I came out this morning and she had laid. She looked dead again, sort of face planted in the ground and when she lifts up her head, she just slowly puts it back down. Photo below. *AGAIN, SHES NOT EGG-BOUND SO PLEASE DONT SUGGEST THAT* Any idea what this is?

Attachments

• 86F23C5B-23A2-4D6E-BE78-DB867CD9CC44.jpeg
    86F23C5B-23A2-4D6E-BE78-DB867CD9CC44.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 26
Hi everyone! My chicken started acting like this yesterday. When I went out to the coop, I thought she was dead. She was laying under the henhouse area but in the run and had to get her out with a rake. We put her in her own large cage with food and water and we had to leave our home. We thought maybe she was egg bound but is not. *SHES NOT EGG-BOUND SO PLEASE DONT SUGGEST THAT* I know she’s not egg bound because I came out this morning and she had laid. She looked dead again, sort of face planted in the ground and when she lifts up her head, she just slowly puts it back down. Photo below. Any idea what this is?
Mabye an egg broke inside of her can you take a picture of her face and her eyes also what color poop does she have also take a close up on her eyes and tell me if you see taht she has smoggy eyes. It would be nice if you took a whole video of her.

Mabye an egg broke inside of her can you take a picture of her face and her eyes also what color poop does she have also take a close up on her eyes and tell me if you see taht she has smoggy eyes. It would be nice if you took a whole video of her.
I’m really not so sure about that. The egg she laid today was clean and normal. I’ll get a video of her eyes soon

She might be overheated wearing this saddle in summertime. I would take it off and trim her head feathers quite short to allow for better view and ventilation.

Keep her in a cool place with some electrolytes and vitamins in her water, scrambled eggs and some millet and rolled oats with grated carrots and hopefully she will recover soon.

Check her carefully for poultry mites as well, as wearing a saddle in summer allows for mites to take over unnoticed.

Okay so I did all that was recommend. She wasn’t eating but was drinking. She had access to Gatorade the entire time and we had her inside. (Took the apron off but I know overheating wasn’t the issue.) made her a chicken smoothie, (a smoothie for chickens including scrambled eggs, small amount of squash, small amount of banana, chicken feed, and water.) she enjoyed it but you had to offer it her yourself cause she would knock it over if you left it in the cage. She seemed to be moving more and getting better one day, but then the next, she was worse. Wasn’t able to feed her much cause her head was constantly face-planted. By this point, I didn’t want to lose her but it was a lot of work and I was babysitting all day that week. She continued to drink Gatorade herself, but she never got better. I noticed some foam at her mouth that I’m not sure what was from. We ended up putting her down on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom