My chicken is losing head feathers. Please help!

Canacullus

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Dark brahma hen. No change in weight as far as I know.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Losing feathers on head.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Several weeks.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not that I know of.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She is very peaceful and passive. Super friendly, perhaps picked on by others.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water and purina layer pellets.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. LIke normal poop. Sometimes their poop is longer, almost rope like. Usually whitish or brown. Occasionally green.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat by myself as my parents don’t wont to spend a bunch of money on taking a chicken to the vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I can post one tomorrow morning.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They walk on hay. The coop has a roost. The nesting box has pine shavings. Under their hay in the run is bricks. It is fairly large, Perhapps 20x10(???) ft. I can measure tomorrow.

We have 8 hens. A dark brahma(this one with symptoms), a white brahma, a white leghorn, 2 brown leghorns, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode island red, 1 golden laced Wyandotte. The others all appear healthy. A few scabs on combs from minor scuffles and being dry/chapped during winter. I put some vaseline on their combs a few weeks ago.(their waters to and the things below the ear flap.) We have no roosters.

Is it Favus? I thank thats what it could be.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Dark brahma hen. No change in weight as far as I know.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Losing feathers on head.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Several weeks.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not that I know of.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She is very peaceful and passive. Super friendly, perhaps picked on by others.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water and purina layer pellets.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. LIke normal poop. Sometimes their poop is longer, almost rope like. Usually whitish or brown. Occasionally green.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat by myself as my parents don’t wont to spend a bunch of money on taking a chicken to the vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I can post one tomorrow morning.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They walk on hay. The coop has a roost. The nesting box has pine shavings. Under their hay in the run is bricks. It is fairly large, Perhapps 20x10(???) ft. I can measure tomorrow.

We have 8 hens. A dark brahma(this one with symptoms), a white brahma, a white leghorn, 2 brown leghorns, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode island red, 1 golden laced Wyandotte. The others all appear healthy. A few scabs on combs from minor scuffles and being dry/chapped during winter. I put some vaseline on their combs a few weeks ago.(their waters to and the things below the ear flap.) We have no roosters.

Is it Favus? I thank thats what it could be.

Photos will be helpful yes favus (ringworm) can cause head feathers loss. But sometimes cannibalism also is a culprit ..

That could be it. I will check the ingredients of the food to see if they are getting all the protein and nutrients they need, not just a bunch of starchy fillers. Now that I think of it, she may look slightly thinner, I’m not sure though. I will get pics ASAP. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom