My chicken is pecking me!

samjoh95

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I'm new to raising chickens and I have 12 2 month old chickens. when my family and I bought our coop, the family we bought it from had a chicken they didn't want anymore. So we took her. She has been fine with our chicks, and the rest of my family, but she pecks at me every time I'm around her. Have I done something to upset her???

There are many differant kinds of pecking, like tonight mine were trying to remove a mole on my leg, other times they see dirt on my shoes and try to remove that. At times this can be painful but they dont mean any harm they are just curious. What is her behavior when she pecks at you? Does she run at you or does she just grab at you when you are close. They are also fascinated with fingers and will grab at them at times. She may just be curious. Or she may be scared of you for some reason.

If you're jerking away when she pecks you, stop. I've found that chickens can become quite violent when they get a reaction from the human they're investigating, but it usually stops very quickly once the human starts ignoring pecking. If that doesn't work, I don't have any advice.

Good luck!

Ive got a hen that pecks me, she seems to do it for attention and seems to think she's top hen, the other day she nipped me she broke the skin, but she does seem to do it when i'm giving another attention or cleaning the coop.

She usually pecks at me whenever I get close to her. she pecks and grabs for my fingers, she frequently makes a hissing noise when she does.

My favorite chicken is my Dominque. She is 8 months old, very docile and loving, but has recently stated pecking at my legs if I am not paying attention to her. I think she wants my attention, so I pick her up for awhile and pet her like a dog. She sits quietly, and seems to love the attention. However, when summer comes and i wear shorts, I can only imagine what my legs will look like. Any suggestions?

Our Dominique, Tinker Bell is still pecking us but mainly on the legs in order to get attention. My husband is working on the coop today and she kept pecking his jean, but once very hard, so that was it. She is now in a "time out" in the chicken yard and is pacing wanting out. We have begun to poke her back or chest with our finger, or I have even flicked her beak with my finger. We thought it cute at first, but now she is pecking the other chickens and we are trying all things to stop the aggression. When she visits with us on our laps she usually falls to sleep and never pecks. Could it be just attention getting behavior? We now call her Tinker the Stinker.

Besides pecking at moles or or any other spots you have visible, I take pecking to usually be an attempt to be higher than you in the pecking order. If I were you, I'd peck back. That's what we do with our chicks and pullets when they're growing up so they'll know we're the top hen or rooster. We use our index finger and peck them on the top of their heads or back, whatever we can reach. The only time we get pecked now is from one Hen who pecks us when she doesn't want to be disturbed when she's laying. If we try to reach under her, she'll peck us but very gently to just let us know she's not happy.

Good Luck!

LOL...I think mostly they peck because they think EVERYTHING is food. A mole, a dirt speck or a freckle....they are trying to eat
it. We are just walking vending machines to them ya know.
I do have one that pecks me in the butt when I am sitting on the stump holding another chicken.
I do believe she is a jealous chicken.
D.gif

A couple of our chickens peck at my legs whenever I wear blue jeans. Not when I wear any other kind of pants. I'm not sure if it is the color or the texture, but it is weird.

Back
Top Bottom