My chicken is pecking me!

my chickens pecks me and makes me bleed i need help.
somad.gif

All good information. I'm pretty new at raising hens (about 4 months now). I love my hens. I have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 buff Orpington, and one Black-laced Wyandotte. The Orpington is friendly and loves to be picked up. One of the RIR's (Dawn Corleone) was very friendly until recently. The other (McNugget) was never friendly. Dawn pecks at me (actually will run up to my pantleg, peck and flap her wings). I noticed she is being pecked at by the other RIR. I am pecking back and then holding them just to let them know I'm "alpha hen"! ;o) Seems to calm them down but they do it again. I am not sure if some of it is curiosity or aggression, but I do not want it to continue. I think they need to know it's not okay. I will continue this and see how it goes. My Wyandotte does not like to be picked up at all. I was thinking of using a spray bottle of water as a plan B.

Seems like they are just curious, but if they start getting more aggressive you need to tap them lightly whenever they do it, or harder if you need to. They are mostly curious with bright clothes and beads, and that is mostly the reason why they like to peck at you.

One of my hens recently pecked at my earrings while I was cleaning out the coop. I climbed in to start scooping and she pecked at the earring and tried to grab it in her beak, but when it wouldn't come off she dropped it. She must have been attracted to them because they were dangling earrings. Now I know to take them off before entering the coop!

On two occasions now, while holding two different hens, I have been pecked in the eye. They must see my eyeball moving and see it as food. Lemme tell you, when holding them from now on I don't let them get too close to my face for fear of losing an eye!

On two occasions now, while holding two different hens, I have been pecked in the eye. They must see my eyeball moving and see it as food. Lemme tell you, when holding them from now on I don't let them get too close to my face for fear of losing an eye!

Definetely keep them away from your face, they love pecking at your eyes and mouth, and it's not very safe to have them to close.

Back
Top Bottom