My chicken is pecking me!

I'm having this problem too, my hens are just plain mean and make bloody spots on my legs whenever I go into the run, even when I give them treats, which I do every time. It's making me mad and I've started thumping them, I'm not seeing any solutions here and would love to figure out how to make them stop because it's no fun! They have a large run and lots to keep them busy and get treats daily.
scoop the "pecky" one up and hold her for a few minutes..then put her down..repeat the process until she quits pecking you...it works after a few times with my hens...

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
i find that holding a hand on their backs makes it easier to pick them up and hold them until they submit...plus they are used to me holding them..lol

Some of my chickens gently peck my back or rub their beaks on my leg while I am kneeling to clean out their coop or refreshing their food and water. I take it as a curiosity thing like asking "Watcha doing mom?" I've never had one of BO hens peck me to show hierarchy.

LOL...I think mostly they peck because they think EVERYTHING is food. A mole, a dirt speck or a freckle....they are trying to eat
it. We are just walking vending machines to them ya know.
I do have one that pecks me in the butt when I am sitting on the stump holding another chicken.
I do believe she is a jealous chicken.
D.gif
Can they be jealous?

I had a hen that would peck me looking for attention and treats. I would grab her and put her back in the 'hen pen' for a time out. It did work somewhat, at least for a few days at a time (which I attribute to attention span). It was funny to watch her after: she wanted to peck, by golly, but you could literally see the wheels in her head turning as she physically resisted the urge. Good luck with your hen!

This cracked me up! :gig
For sure have seen that with pullets/hens and cock/erels.
It's a crazy thing. I think they can learn. They have been with us so long, but not as pets. It is an evolutionary learning curve, but I think it can be done. I don't think my chix are too different than my cats, it is just a matter of appealing to them and making certain choices with consequences. Easier if you only have a few to work with. :)

I'm new to raising chickens and I have 12 2 month old chickens. when my family and I bought our coop, the family we bought it from had a chicken they didn't want anymore. So we took her. She has been fine with our chicks, and the rest of my family, but she pecks at me every time I'm around her. Have I done something to upset her???
I have 4 8 week old pullets. 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Red Sex Links. One Barred Rock has started pecking. Well, I just watch what they do to each other and did what they do. If a chick pecks you softly, like it is just curious, I don't care. If it pecks your hand or leg pretty hard, I call out with a loud BRRR! Like they do when they jump on each other. It really works! So far, I never have to touch them to correct them. Like horses they really sense our energy more than our wanting to use physical force.
Just for fun, try it. I hope it helps!
All the best

I have hens that are 5 months old and just laid their first egg. I used to have several roosters, but they were to loud and aggressive, so I sent them to the freezer. Recently my hens started pecking my feet and when I lift my hand to smack them they immediately crouch down to be mated. I am pretty sure they are doing it on purpose.

If they peck me, I peck them back with a flick of my finger. That's how I control them. Hens are different from roosters, their peck has a completely different meaning.

Back
Top Bottom