My chicken is prolapsing

Jun 19, 2017
HELP. MY CHICKEN IS PROLAPSING! She has a red thing coming out of her vent and it's gross I got some advice from another person and she told me to soak her and I have twice in the last two days and it has been better. She pooped in the tub when I was soakin her and she hasn't pooped since. HELP!!

Hi @Lover of the chickens :frow Welcome To BYC

Photos would be helpful.

How long has it been since she pooped?

General care for a prolapse would be soaking in an epsom salt bath, dry, apply some hemmoriod cream to help reduce swelling. Gently push the tissue in to see if it will stay.
Sometime there is too much swelling and you will need to wait for it to go down in order for the prolapse to go in. Keep the tissue moist with ointment.

If she is NOT pooping at all - then she may also have an egg stuck - gently feel with a lubricated finger inside the prolapse to see if there is an egg in there (about 1").

Let us know how she is doing.

Can you post a picture of her vent? Is there only red tissue protruding, or does it have some darker or lighter tissue? Honey or Preparation H cream are effective in helping to reduce the swelling. The prolapsed tissue needs to be kept moist at all times so it does not dry out, and push it back inside when possible (the sooner, the better.) Holding it there for a few minutes can help it stay inside. A daily soak can help, and if she still doesn't poop, I would feel for a stuck egg. Prolapsed cloaca or vent can sometimes be a result of egg binding or constipation and straining. Here is some reading:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

I don't know how long she has not been pooping but I cleaned it yesterday and today and she seems to be doing better. She pooped while she was soaking after I had cleaned most of the poop off of the prolapse

image.jpg

It's hard to see:)

Do the best you can to keep ointment any prolapsed tissue.

Provide her with plenty of water (dehydration makes it harder to contract the tissue) and offer some extra calcium.

The biggest thing is to see if she is pooping - you may need to place her on a puppy pad or paper towels so you can see the poop - bedding can get it mixed in quickly.

Back
Top Bottom