My Chicken is puffed up, lethargic, and standing still. HELP

It's possible she could be overrun with Cocci... I would start a round of Corid 9.6% liquid or 20% powder ASAP in her water.

9.6% is 2 Tablespoons liquid per gallon
20% is 1.5 Tablespoons powder per gallon

You can divide the dose accordingly to make half gallon or less for single chickens. Make a fresh batch daily.

Have you felt her crop? Does it feel full? Empty? Hard? Spongy?

Are there any masses in her abdomen? Does she feel like she's full of water or hard?

How are her poops?

If she's off her water, you may have to tube feed her to keep her hydrated, so she will survive long enough for the treatment to work.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Is it 2 tablespoons of the 9.6% liquid Corid per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons?

It's possible she could be overrun with Cocci... I would start a round of Corid 9.6% liquid or 20% powder ASAP in her water.

9.6% is 2 Tablespoons liquid per gallon
20% is 1.5 Tablespoons powder per gallon

You can divide the dose accordingly to make half gallon or less for single chickens. Make a fresh batch daily.

Have you felt her crop? Does it feel full? Empty? Hard? Spongy?

Are there any masses in her abdomen? Does she feel like she's full of water or hard?

How are her poops?

If she's off her water, you may have to tube feed her to keep her hydrated, so she will survive long enough for the treatment to work.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Is the dosage for the 9.6% liquid Corid 2 tablespoons per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons?

I'm not trying to steal your thread, but I'm having a problem with a 2 week old chic that sounds the same. All seemed well this morning but tonight I get home and one is acting just like you described. Looking for help as well

careful, if you have already started the tetracycline wait 24hours before starting the corid, the combo can kill. plus i got to say corid is the absolute solution to cocci, follow up with the electrolytes to help the gut and replenish your girl. you might consider not worming with corid as well. i called the company and they said not to give it with any other meds.

She seems to be still holding on, though her comb is very droopy today from dehydration. She doesn't seem to be eating, but her crop still feels full-ish. It's not hard or anything like that, but I find it odd that she is wasting away from not eating and she's still got a non-empty crop. Am I totally missing something?

I read up on sour crop, because when I was holding her to syringe feed her some water and I was massaging the crop a little (just trying to get a feel of what is going on there...I didn't even know what a crop was before this whole incident) she "burped" and it smelled like, I don't know what, but it was horrid...almost made me gag. I'm at my whit's end here and have done all I can think of for this bird and it just seems to be getting worse. So I figured, I'd try emptying out the crop incase that was the problem. I'd hate to loose her because I didn't do something I should have. I took her outside and held her at an angle toward the ground and started massaging the crop from the bottom toward the throat. Holy Hannah! She started spewing this awful smelling, yellow creamy liquidy stuff, that had bits of grains and other tidbit of stuff. I tried to get as much out as I could and I'd wait to let her get her breath. At one point she shook her head to get all that gunk out of her beak and sent it flying EVERYWHERE! Needless to say, all my clothes I was wearing are now in the washer and I'm shortly headed up to the shower. I repeated the massaging and air breaks until I just couldn't get anything else to come up, but the crop didn't feel totally empty. In fact, I can still feel some pieces of chicken scratch like chunks hanging around in there (where before I couldn't feel anything specific, it was just a mushy ball). I wiped her face and beak off and she is back in her crate with just water. (not that she was eating the food anyway, but if it is a crop problem, I'm not supposed to be feeding her grains anyway...) I feel pretty deflated and not sure if what I put her through was even totally necessary, but if it saves her life....? I'm at a loss. I'm thinking I'll go get her some plain yogurt and see if she's interested, but I really have my doubts that she will even give it the time of day. She is holding on, but just wasting away. I don't think she can go on much longer not eating or drinking. She is still pretty fiesty and still seems very coherent despite literally starving to death. Her chest bone is really the only thing I can feel on the front of her anymore, besides the full-ish, squishy crop. What do I do now?

She seems to be still holding on, though her comb is very droopy today from dehydration. She doesn't seem to be eating, but her crop still feels full-ish. It's not hard or anything like that, but I find it odd that she is wasting away from not eating and she's still got a non-empty crop. Am I totally missing something?

I read up on sour crop, because when I was holding her to syringe feed her some water and I was massaging the crop a little (just trying to get a feel of what is going on there...I didn't even know what a crop was before this whole incident) she "burped" and it smelled like, I don't know what, but it was horrid...almost made me gag. I'm at my whit's end here and have done all I can think of for this bird and it just seems to be getting worse. So I figured, I'd try emptying out the crop incase that was the problem. I'd hate to loose her because I didn't do something I should have. I took her outside and held her at an angle toward the ground and started massaging the crop from the bottom toward the throat. Holy Hannah! She started spewing this awful smelling, yellow creamy liquidy stuff, that had bits of grains and other tidbit of stuff. I tried to get as much out as I could and I'd wait to let her get her breath. At one point she shook her head to get all that gunk out of her beak and sent it flying EVERYWHERE! Needless to say, all my clothes I was wearing are now in the washer and I'm shortly headed up to the shower. I repeated the massaging and air breaks until I just couldn't get anything else to come up, but the crop didn't feel totally empty. In fact, I can still feel some pieces of chicken scratch like chunks hanging around in there (where before I couldn't feel anything specific, it was just a mushy ball). I wiped her face and beak off and she is back in her crate with just water. (not that she was eating the food anyway, but if it is a crop problem, I'm not supposed to be feeding her grains anyway...) I feel pretty deflated and not sure if what I put her through was even totally necessary, but if it saves her life....? I'm at a loss. I'm thinking I'll go get her some plain yogurt and see if she's interested, but I really have my doubts that she will even give it the time of day. She is holding on, but just wasting away. I don't think she can go on much longer not eating or drinking. She is still pretty fiesty and still seems very coherent despite literally starving to death. Her chest bone is really the only thing I can feel on the front of her anymore, besides the full-ish, squishy crop. What do I do now?

Poor girl! She had some nasty sour crop. Sour crop is a yeast infection.

I've heard rumors you can treat it by tubing Monistat cream into a crop. Unverified... There's the article ~~> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Last edited:
I have been tube feeding a buff opr with Harrisons bird recovery formula i got from a avian vet. I've been giving her 60 ml twice a day. Really seems to be helping. She was having watery-white diarrhea, sitting alone, not eating much. no worms in the stool sample. Since then the vet called her in a prescription for antibiotics. No more diarrhea now and seems to be perking up. Hope this helps

careful, if you have already started the tetracycline wait 24hours before starting the corid, the combo can kill. plus i got to say corid is the absolute solution to cocci, follow up with the electrolytes to help the gut and replenish your girl. you might consider not worming with corid as well. i called the company and they said not to give it with any other meds.
I have given Corid with Safeguard, Baytril and metronidazole and seen no ill effects. Of course I don't mix them in the same water container, only Corid goes in that, all others are given orally or by injection.

-Kathy

Thanks to this thread, I was able to treat my chickens for cocci and they responded wonderfully!
2 of them were fine in the morning and by afternoon were puffed up, standing very still and not eating or drinking. We ruled out sour crop and egg bound. I started corps within an hour of noticing them, but had to give it by syringe since they wouldn’t drink. They each drank 4 teaspoons treated water this way and even just 3 hours later seemed a bit perked up. We gave them more treated water through syringe and locked them up for the night. In the morning they were perfect! No indication of sickness at all. They were ready for a new day and angry they were still in the coop 🤣
I will keep treating the whole flocks drinking water for five days total.
Thank you! I hope anyone with this issue successfully treats it!

Back
Top Bottom