My chicken is roosting in a tree not the coop...Help!

All of my chickens have been going into the coop perfectly. I sprayed them with the hose when ever the tried to roost in the trees and it only took about 3-4 night before they started to learn not to go into the trees...good luck!

Our chickens have taken to roosting high up in a Laurel tree and recently we have lost three to some predator or other, we think a barn owl). I have now started encouraging them to the coop at dusk with some of their favourite food. Whilst they are busy with that I gently usher them in and shut the door. I have been told that after around three weeks, the habit of the tree nonsense should be history.......here's hoping!

This is some very good advice. I was very diligent in getting all my chickens, Icelandic, out of a tree in a swamp and back into the coop. I cut feathers, etc to try to discourage flying. One night they were all up in the tree and I didn't feel good so I didn't walk into the swamp to shake them down Well, sad to say I lost 3 of them :( (and yes they all had cute Viking names) I feel terrible. The best thing a person can do is remove them from the tree, try to prevent them from flying and maybe keep them in the run until it becomes a habit to stay in the coop. I got lazy and lost 3 girls because of it. I am guessing an owl but not sure. One was on the ground and I couldn't find any marks. One is completely MIA and the other was only feathers and a trail of feathers into the woods. Nothing else.

I use a broom and get my 5 chickens down every night, then into the coop. I press under their chests with the broom, they step on it and I lower them down. A little bit of a pain, but it’s kind of like tucking them in at night. I tried locking them in for a couple days and it didn’t help. I don’t think I would climb a tree every night, but the broom lowering is kind of an enjoyable way to say good night to my little ladies.

Back
Top Bottom