My chicken is sick, I need help

Jayywhat

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2022
A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of my sapphire gem hens was puffing up its feathers. It was very cold out and it was cold out for days on top of getting a big snow storm so that’s why I thought she was just cold. We put a ton of bedding and straw in the henhouse at night to try to warm her up. I did notice that the other three sapphire gem hens we have were doing very well and not bothered by the cold at all. Then the weather got a little warmer and this specific hen’s feathers were still puffed up. We brought her in the house to warm her up. After being in the house for a day and night her feathers were still puffed up. I looked her over and saw a black scab on her foot which I suspect was bumble foot. At this time she was still eating and drinking water. We treated the bumble foot the best we could from what we saw online which was getting rid of the scab and cleaning it out and putting antibiotics on it. I also did the epsom salt before removing the scab. It looks like it’s healing well, it’s no longer black and does not look infected at all. We have been keeping her bedding clean and replacing her bandages daily. It’s been a week and she seems to have gotten worse. She is still puffed up and now not eating or drinking and she is very lethargic. I can get her to eat treats, like an egg, but she eats it very slow. She won’t eat her regular food, won’t drink the water I change every day, and won’t drink any Gatorade. There’s no swelling anywhere on her face and nothing coming out of her eyes or nose. From what I could see, her butt looks clean. Last night she was very lethargic and I didn’t even think she was going to make it through the night. I woke up today and she was still alive, standing up and then laying back down after. Still not drinking. We are getting a syringe today to try to get some water in her. I just don’t know what’s wrong and if there is anything else I should be doing or treating her for?

Your location, please. City, state and country. This gives us environmental clues.

Can you post a photo of her poop?. How old is she?

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Leftover prescriptions from a family member?
I live in the United States in Massachusetts near the cape. I did forget to mention her poop is green and white and watery. Not solid at all. She is almost two years old. I have some prednisone and an antibiotic that a doctor gave me in the past and did not use. I don’t know the name of the antibiotic, but I am also not home at the moment so I can provide the name when I get home later as well as a picture of her poop. Thank you for the response!

Has she laid eggs recently? Is her tail held up or down? Has she lost weight? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, somewhat full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Check it again in early morning to see if it has emptied before eating or drinking. Try to get her eating some wet chicken feed in a small bowl. A dose of Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily could help. She might have a reproductive disorder depending on her symptoms.

Has she laid eggs recently? Is her tail held up or down? Has she lost weight? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, somewhat full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Check it again in early morning to see if it has emptied before eating or drinking. Try to get her eating some wet chicken feed in a small bowl. A dose of Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily could help. She might have a reproductive disorder depending on her symptoms.
She has not laid any eggs at all. Her tail is down. Her crop is flat, but the breast bone is sticking out. Assuming that means she has lost weight. The other thing I have forgotten to mention is that the top of her comb is black and it looks like it spread. It’s not black spots. I don’t no if frostbite would cause all this. Her comb is bright red other than the black.

Do you have any pictures of her comb? It is possible that she has frostbite. If her breastbone is prominent, she could be suffering from cancer. If she has never laid eggs, a reproductive disorder or cancer could be possible. Many times we can only offer supportive care, offering food and water, possibly tube feeding, keeping them warm, until a necropsy can be done after death by the state vet to find a diagnosis. Has she ever been wormed or treated for coccidiosis? It looks like Massachusetts does not have a state vet lab, but you could probably get one in a neighboring state. Here is a link for state vets:
https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet

I have a hen having bumblefoot and is in my basement too. She also wouldn't eat even after I treat the bumble foot. Her poop was green and watery too. After tried corid that didn't work, I just started antibotics 5 days ago, and she is eating and drinking almost normally now. Because tractor supply stopped carrying most antibiotics, I got my antibiotics from allbirdproducts.com, which is for pigeons. You may be able to find it in other stores. I have Marek's in my flock, so I wasn't sure if the antibiotics would help at all, but it did work for her. Also make sure that she doesn't have worms or mites. If you see sign of worms in her or other chickens poops, deworm before you try antibotics.

I'm not an expert, this is just what works for me. maybe someones else can give you a better advise.

I have a hen having bumblefoot and is in my basement too. She also wouldn't eat even after I treat the bumble foot. Her poop was green and watery too. After tried corid that didn't work, I just started antibotics 5 days ago, and she is eating and drinking almost normally now. Because tractor supply stopped carrying most antibiotics, I got my antibiotics from allbirdproducts.com, which is for pigeons. You may be able to find it in other stores. I have Marek's in my flock, so I wasn't sure if the antibiotics would help at all, but it did work for her. Also make sure that she doesn't have worms or mites. If you see sign of worms in her or other chickens poops, deworm before you try antibotics.

I'm not an expert, this is just what works for me. maybe someones else can give you a better advise.
This was helpful. Part of the problem is this is the first time I’ve ever had chickens so everything that is happening is happening for the first time. I was not sure if all of this could be bumble foot but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much. No blood in her stool and no signs of worms in her stool or any of the birds stools. What’s the name of the specific antibiotic you got from that website?

Do you have any pictures of her comb? It is possible that she has frostbite. If her breastbone is prominent, she could be suffering from cancer. If she has never laid eggs, a reproductive disorder or cancer could be possible. Many times we can only offer supportive care, offering food and water, possibly tube feeding, keeping them warm, until a necropsy can be done after death by the state vet to find a diagnosis. Has she ever been wormed or treated for coccidiosis? It looks like Massachusetts does not have a state vet lab, but you could probably get one in a neighboring state. Here is a link for state vets:
https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet

Attachments

• 90ED1D24-61DB-4DE1-A66F-9AF1AC3C883A.jpeg
    90ED1D24-61DB-4DE1-A66F-9AF1AC3C883A.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 6A480D61-3FE9-4443-8CAD-6DD70EDAA4E3.jpeg
    6A480D61-3FE9-4443-8CAD-6DD70EDAA4E3.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 163F3E1B-6FE2-4F9A-A481-4152DA19728A.jpeg
    163F3E1B-6FE2-4F9A-A481-4152DA19728A.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 7

Please start you own thread about this

Back
Top Bottom