My chicken is sneezing and I don't know what it means!

k3ti3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
NYC, ny
I got a chicken about a week ago. She seems totally fine but she sneezes a lot. I don't know if its serious or not! please help
barnie.gif

Where did she come from? Are you quarantining her away from any other birds you already have? I know you say she "seems fine" - but that can be pretty general - is the bird eating, drinking and eliminating at a normal rate for her breed and age? Is there *any* discharge? Is there any abnormal noise associated with her breathing? When you say she sneezes a lot- is it a nearly constant thing or more of a few sneezes here and there but consistently happening daily? How is she being housed - are there any particular dusty aspects to her environment such as dusty bedding, a lot of particulate in the air, etc?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Is this a wet sneeze? Does she have discharge from her nostrils? Watery eyes? Swollen face? If so, you need to separate her from the rest of the flock for a while. If she does have any of these things, get her on antibiotics of some sort. Either some Denagard or Duramycin. Many of these respiratory ailments are contagious and the sick bird becomes a carrier for the rest of their days. So be very careful if you plan on mixing this bird into your flock.

Where did she come from? Are you quarantining her away from any other birds you already have? I know you say she "seems fine" - but that can be pretty general - is the bird eating, drinking and eliminating at a normal rate for her breed and age? Is there *any* discharge? Is there any abnormal noise associated with her breathing? When you say she sneezes a lot- is it a nearly constant thing or more of a few sneezes here and there but consistently happening daily? How is she being housed - are there any particular dusty aspects to her environment such as dusty bedding, a lot of particulate in the air, etc?
She came from a show, and she is away from other birds. She's totally normal, Eating Drinking playing pooping. No discharge. she realy doesnt sneeze that much, that was a typing error, but she does sneeze 3-6 times when I take her out over about 3 hours. Her breathing seems ok to me. She has Straw as bedding.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Is this a wet sneeze? Does she have discharge from her nostrils? Watery eyes? Swollen face? If so, you need to separate her from the rest of the flock for a while. If she does have any of these things, get her on antibiotics of some sort. Either some Denagard or Duramycin. Many of these respiratory ailments are contagious and the sick bird becomes a carrier for the rest of their days. So be very careful if you plan on mixing this bird into your flock.
She only sneezes after drinking so i'm not sure if there is discharge, but it is wet.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

It's good that you have her isolated from other birds. Chickens can pick up diseases at poultry shows quite easily. If she's acting normal otherwise, it may just be a mild respiratory disease that will go away on its own.

Do you have a nipple waterer or a "dip your beak in" sort of waterer? If the sneezing is always just after drinking she may be just clearing her nasal passages of water that gets in them from her getting a drink.

I would still keep her quarantined to be on the safe side. People that show birds, will put them in quarantine when they return from a show. You never know what they may pick up and bring home.

Back
Top Bottom