My chicken is taking an unusually long time to lay her egg

nyaht

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2022
Victoria
one of my chickens she is an (Easter egger) she has been taking a few hours to lay her eggs in the last two days. This morning she was in the nest box I let them out to free range but it wasn’t long before she went back in. Yesterday she took about 3/4 hours to lay her egg. It’s currently summer where we live but we just had a massive thunder storm with a lot of rain yesterday and it’s not currently hot. I’m not sure why it’s taking her so long. Does anyone have advice?

one of my chickens she is an (Easter egger) she has been taking a few hours to lay her eggs in the last two days. This morning she was in the nest box I let them out to free range but it wasn’t long before she went back in. Yesterday she took about 3/4 hours to lay her egg. It’s currently summer where we live but we just had a massive thunder storm with a lot of rain yesterday and it’s not currently hot. I’m not sure why it’s taking her so long. Does anyone have advice?
How old is she, in weeks or months?
How long has she been laying?
Does she usually take some time to lay?.
How hot was it before?
Unless she is acting off in some other way, I'd not worry.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @nyaht
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1641603240333.png

How old is she, in weeks or months?
How long has she been laying?
Does she usually take some time to lay?.
How hot was it before?
Unless she is acting off in some other way, I'd not worry.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @nyaht
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2952861
She is turning two on June 28th I’m not exactly sure how long she has been laying but it more than a few months. She doesn’t usually take that long to lay. I let them out in the morning and she has usually laid her egg. Whereas the last two days she hasn’t come out till around 12 and she is loosing half her day. We had a few thirty degree days a couple of weeks ago but it’s currently 19 degrees. Could she be just sitting in there after she laid her egg?

Last edited:
She is turning two on June 28th I’m not exactly sure how long she has been laying but it more than a few months. She doesn’t usually take that long to lay. I let them out in the morning and she has usually laid her egg. Whereas the last two days she hasn’t come out till around 12 and she is loosing half her day. We had a few thirty degree days a couple of weeks ago but it’s currently 19 degrees. Could she be just sitting in there after she laid her egg?
Could just be the normal 'laying later each day' thing.
You may not have noticed how long she takes when she lay before you open the door?
The heat could have stressed her a bit.

Could just be the normal 'laying later each day' thing.
You may not have noticed how long she takes when she lay before you open the door?
The heat could have stressed her a bit.
No I’m not sure how long it takes her to lay in the morning because they get a lot around 7/8 so I’m not our there before that. But I don’t think she is going in to lay later the usually does. she it still in there and been in there since this morning, which mean she’s been in the nest box for half a day.

But I don’t think she is going in to lay later the usually does.
It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid.

A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..every hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

she it still in there and been in there since this morning, which mean she’s been in the nest box for half a day.
Might she be broody?
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

so I’m not our there before that.
Might be good to go out earlier and also do you check them at night when locking up?

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid.

A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..every hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

Might she be broody?
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Might be good to go out earlier and also do you check them at night when locking up?
Sorry I didn’t see this until now. I figured out a couple of days ago she is broody. Thanks for you help

I have an EE that takes literally FOREVER! I keep going back, still there. Two hours later, still there! The others seem to pop in there and pop out. She isn’t broody, just seems to take forever!

I have an EE that takes literally FOREVER! I keep going back, still there. Two hours later, still there! The others seem to pop in there and pop out. She isn’t broody, just seems to take forever!
I have a Lavender Orpington that takes forever. I don't know if she is having a problem or is being broody?

Back
Top Bottom