My Chicken is very happy BUT...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pollitos Mami, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    My husband and I found 2 different stool piles of stool with blood. Is that normal? An oppossum got into my garbage and there was a lot of debris as I cleaned it I noticed she got a hold of a broken bone. I chased her through the yard trying to get it back but she was quick. Then the next day we saw the blood. Can that be related? Also will cats harm my 12-14 week old little chickens? They've been sleeping in an inside coop because where we live there are So many stray cats and oppossums I'm scared they'll be harmed. At night the oppossums emerge but these feral cats are around daily.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yes some cats will hurt your chickens.

As for the poop--- do a search on BYC for the various poop threads. It is normal to see red in the poop when the chickens shed parts of their intestinal lining. I forget what this is called.

Red blood in the poo could mean there is an issue at the end of the digestive tract.

Bleeding in the stomach/beginning intestine would likely go unnoticed, as digested blood is almost impossible to distingush from other poo. If your hen ate a bone, it is likely she would have ground it up in her crop before it went into her stomach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by