my chicken just fell over and died!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, it certainly sounds like you made a good life for her, sometimes chickens will just up and die. It could have been a heart attack, since you don't really know how old she was. Again, I'm sorry you lost her.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am somehow more upset because I know she had a very difficult life for quite some time before she came to me, and I was very much hoping that she would have a chance at a happier and safer life. It must have been so stressful and upsetting to her to be on the streets in Los Angeles for weeks and weeks. Taking her in felt like some little gesture of kindness in a city that can be a bit pitiless.

It's very hard for me that she has passed away so soon, so suddenly, because I could watch her calming down and feeling more secure with each day she was with me. She would follow me around and nibble at my toes and stay inches away from me while I read or gardened. When I built and painted her coop she got so excited that she clucked around the paintbrush and examined the whole process.

She's my first and only chicken, and I've been writing children's books about chickens for several months before she arrived. Her arrival at my door felt magical. It's all very shocking and painful.

Well this is just a really sweet and sad story. That does sound magical that she arrived as you are writing about chickies for kiddies. I have no doubt you will immortalize her in a book.
hugs.gif

I am sorry for your loss. She came to you for peace and found wonderful warmth and love to help her on her way. Thank you for your compassion. *teary eyed* I know I would have tried to do what you did, and you did the best you could. :aww

I had my favorite RIR, that I raised from a chick, up and die on me. I had her for a little over a year, did everything I could to keep her healthy and happy, she laid eggs every day and then one day she ran across the pasture to me, flopped over and died in my arms before I could get her to the house. She had been fine that morning and the days before. I never found out why, it was very sad. i understand how you feel, they bring such joy to your life. Please do not let it discourage you about keeping chickens. She came to you for a reason, you both needed each other.
hugs.gif

Oh, I'm so sorry. That' terrible. I agree with others in thinking it could have been age along with heart attack. If she wasn't laying any eggs, then she must have been up there in years. RIR's are known for being excellent egg layers, so she most likely was old. Again, I'm so sorry.
sad.png

I'm so sorry you lost "her" so soon. The coop you made is so charming. From the pics, "she" may have been a "he" based on comb and wattles and tail feathers.

I know it won't replace her but now that you have a cute coop and have learned how sweet chickens can be - how about getting a few chicks.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace her and it must have been devastating to lose her. It sounds like it was just her time to go. You provided her with a wonderful life. Perhaps in time you will get more chickens. They won't replace her but bring a little extra joy in your life. All the best.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom