my chicken just fell over and died!!!!!!!!!!

That's a very cute little coop you had for her. Now you have to acquire a couple of lovely hens to fill it.
smile.png

I am so so sorry for your loss. It seems so rare to make an immediate conection with other living beings, so be glad you and her at least could share that rare connection before she passed on. and feel good that you were able to provide that for her. All any of us can hope for is to have some one holding our hand on our day to pass. It means everything to have some one that cares, even if it is only in the final moment, because the final moment is the one that counts. You did a great thing, thank you.

Gazinga said it well. Your loving chicken did not die as an unwanted, discarded stray. You gave her a home, security, and love in her last days. Be at peace.

I commented on her blog.
I am SO SORRY.
Though nothing cn replace her (my Siamese Lucy died young in an accident. I later got another Siamese, Daisy. Though she can't take the place of Lucy, as they are completely different, she fills the hole in my heart and if Lucy came back I wouldn't replace Daisy for the world), here's how to get cheered up: go to the feed store and get more RIR chicks. They'll grow up to be just like her. You could name one Asouline Jr.
*sniffle* You made her last weeks happy and you should be proud to have been owned by such a beautiful bird.

I really am sorry.

I looked at your memorial page and then went and looked at my 16 month old Rhode Island Reds. Neither of mine have the white feathers on their face. Their combs and wattles are a little smaller too.
I had an old leghorn that recently died. She was given to me by a 86 year old church friend who wasn't able to keep up with his animals anymore. She was at least 6 years old and her comb hung down over 1 eye. She laid a huge white egg every day when I first got her but tapered off little by little until she quit laying totally a couple months before she died. She died in similar fashion, running around with the others and then I found her laying there dead later in the day.
I think you had a old hen for whom you provided very nice hospice care. Now you need to find some new chickens who will appreciate that gorgeous coop

All of you are so incredibly kind. Your empathy and compassion have been very, very, very meaningful - your generosity of spirit has brought great comfort at so sad a time for me and my husband. It's been astonishing how profoundly deep an impact she made on our lives, and how quickly she won our hearts with her playful and sweet personality.

Many people have not understood our sadness, but you folks have -- there is a true spirituality of caring on this forum. It's rare and I treasure it and am extremely grateful for the support.

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you opened your heart when you opened your home. We all know how easy it is to fall in love with our hens and roos. I think your dear one was not a mistake and the coop you built her is not only charming but one obviously constructed with love.

I hope you will continue to write about her and take in another hen. Once bitten by the chicken bug, so to speak, you are trapped.
Blessings to you.
Anne

im really sorry about your loss, thats soo sad. but keep us posted! i think you should get a couple of other little chicks, or some hens.. you cant let that lovely coop go to waste now can we!! she or he (not sure about the large comb) was soo happy with you, you didnt do anything wrong. sometimes they just die.. its so sad. my friend said she had one die from being scared to death/shocked... a little boy was riding his bike and came around the corner and scared her hen, it made this weird squawking noise, and then just died...

im sorry for your loss

You live in California... There are venomous snakes in California, right?

Do you think she went into the bushes, met something that struck her, and died from the venom?

Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom