My chicken lost her balance

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
I have a full grown hen who stopped walking and now she won’t stand. I have her on supplements and I made a hammock to help her stand. She still eats, drinks and poops well. Any ideas on how I can help her regain her balance.

She is so sweet so I am hoping to get her well again.
60BCDC8C-0EA8-49BD-874C-0DBB02DFAE6D.jpeg

It could be a simple thiamine deficiency. Give her vitamin B complex.

Or it could be Marek's. But typically, it affects chickens under a year old, although it's possible for older chickens to show symptoms.

How old is she, and how long has she been like this? I had a hen once become imbalanced and not able to walk for a about 5 weeks. She stayed in a basket in the coop and I had to feed and water her twice a day. Eventually, she was able to walk again but still had some balance issues. A year later she died and her necropsy showed that she had cancer and some internal laying, which I think may have been putting pressure on her leg nerves. If you should lose her or put her down, if you ask your state vet to do a necropsy, they may find out what was wrong.

It could be a simple thiamine deficiency. Give her vitamin B complex.

Or it could be Marek's. But typically, it affects chickens under a year old, although it's possible for older chickens to show symptoms.
I did chat with my vet about Mareks and he said because this has been going on awhile and she did not have other Mareks symptoms, it wasn’t that and I would have had a larger loss in my flock.

How old is she, and how long has she been like this? I had a hen once become imbalanced and not able to walk for a about 5 weeks. She stayed in a basket in the coop and I had to feed and water her twice a day. Eventually, she was able to walk again but still had some balance issues. A year later she died and her necropsy showed that she had cancer and some internal laying, which I think may have been putting pressure on her leg nerves. If you should lose her or put her down, if you ask your state vet to do a necropsy, they may find out what was wrong.
I am not exactly sure how old she is because I did not get her as a chick but I would assume at least 2 because of the timing I have had her. Did you leave her in the basket, I am assuming in a sling, the entire time? I have two kennels I have been switching her between. One is with a sling and another with no sling but I have some wood to balance against. I am not sure if I am doing the right thing or do I put her down because of her quality of life. She is still eating and drinking but she is thin I am assuming due to loss of muscle. Any guidance would be so helpful!

Back
Top Bottom