My chicken math came out wrong...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsruvi, May 28, 2011.

1. mrsruvi

mrsruvi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    So i had five chicks. One leghorn mix, two barred rocks and two ee's. So i started to feel bad to the leghorn, being the only one of her kind (and my daughters favorite to boot) i felt like we needed another to go with her. plus six is a much nicer round number. i went to the feed store today to pick a new one out. But while i was there i spotted someone else... Now my flock looks like this.

[​IMG]

I am not sure what happened here. One of these things is definitely not like the others. Darn you fancy chicken!!!

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    LOL. That is one funny looking chick!! I love a diverse flock. Its much easier to tell who is who.

3. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Looks like someone has a white crested black polish to me. Shocking that you found him/her at a feed store. I just love them!

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I definitely like a mixed flock raised together. They are easier to name and watch. You get to know the personalities and moods of each then. Right now I have 30 chicks. mixed run. I want at least 12 layers to go over into the winter. I would like at least two or three roos for possible breeding next spring. They would be housed seperately together. during thre winter and be given hens in spring. What I need to build is the breeding pens, I have definitley got to get better of fibromyalgia and get over a recent surgery. Its frustrating to not be able to do what you know you can do. And want to do. [​IMG] gloria Jean

5. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    I love your flock. My first flock was all different chicks. I love chicken math. I lost one of my hens in March and in my grief, I ordered 25 chicks. When they got here I had 29, then I went to the feed store and seen silkies, bought 2 more. Now with my first flock, I have a total of 33 chickens. I was talking today about getting more silkies, my husband says we have enough; but my chicken math figures that I need at least 2 more.

6. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    what an adorable little tophat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by