My chicken passed, could it have been Marek's?

TambraN

Hatching
Dec 27, 2018
Hello,
I had three 7 month old chickens that I raised together, and my biggest chicken, Big Red, just passed yesterday very suddenly.
A couple of nights ago I heard the chickens being very noisy around 11:00pm which I thought was odd, when I ran down to the coop, Big Red was lying on the ground and looked dead. I put her inside for the night and saw that all her feathers on her chest had been ripped out. She had a hard time standing at first (curling her toes) but after maybe 15 minutes she's was fine, standing & breathing normally. I kept her inside until noon the next day, she was eating, drinking and still laid an egg that morning.
I let all 3 of them range for the day & inspected the coop, nothing got in. Around dusk she was attacked again by my Delaware chicken (the dominant one) and looked as if she was almost dead again. I put her inside and she wasn't doing well at all. She couldn't walk, was breathing very heavy and when my husband tried touching her she rolled around on the ground eventually lying on her back with her feet up. She was still breathing, so I put her back upright and she laid on the ground breathing heavy with her eyes closed. She never moved from that spot & passed away the next day. Do you think she had Mareks disease? I'm at a loss & confused how this happened. It was heartbreaking to watch. Thank you.

It's certainly possible she had Marek's, and if so, it means it's in your flock so they would also be at risk.

The only way to know for sure is to refrigerate her body and find a lab to send it for a necropsy.

I understand how upsetting this is and worrying about more such deaths is a scary prospect. That's why it's so important to know what you're dealing with.

I went through something similar a number of years ago, sent the body of a young cockerel to a lab for necropsy and learned lymphotic leucosis, similar to Marek's, is being carried by the chickens in my flock. It doesn't necessarily mean all will die from it. Understanding how it compromises the immune system of some of the chickens while others can build resistance to it, helps in managing my flock for optimum health.

I strongly urge you to take these steps to understand what killed Big Red. I'm so sorry you lost her.

Back
Top Bottom