My chicken sang the egg song!

lau.gif

Here is what I have discovered about the mysterious egg song. I waited for what seemed forever to hear it. Thought I heard it, they started laying eggs and now it is what I hear most of the morning every day. But, I have come to not think about it as a song. Rather, if you could translate it, it would be "get this thing out of me, give me pain pills, OMG will this never end."!!!!!!!

What is the egg song? My chickens are noisy but not laying.

It goes like this: Ga-bwak, buk, buk, buk, buk! Ga-bwak, buk, buk, buk, buk! Ga-bwak, buk, buk, buk, buk!

It'll go on for 5 minutes, sometimes. Can't miss it. My newest girls sang it a few times days before they finally laid their first eggs.

I'm so excited, I finally heard the egg song in person!! I was running around all morning, finally had a chance to sit down after opening the front and back doors to let the wonderful breeze we are having fill the house. Anyway I sit down and then I hear the chickens (or probably just one in particular) cluck and I think oh they are noisy even though I can't hear them with the doors closed. Then I hear the bawk, bawk, begaw!! I go outside thinking my BA is about to lay because she has laid 8 eggs in the past 11 days and it's just about that time today. But I go out to find my EE singing, she was separate from the rest of the girls and she sang it a couple more times. I was very surprised to find it was her singing and now I am super excited hoping she was practicing for her big day coming soon. I really hope so, I am ready for another layer. Her comb is not very big but its looking redder and I was told she won't get wattles so I am wondering if she will lay soon. Here she is

Anyway I just wondered if there were other reasons she may have sang the egg song if she isn't going to start laying? I didn't see any predators around that she may have been warning the others about and if she was warning them they weren't doing a good job of listening and hiding.

ive heard that preditor warning system my roo belts out and im sure the difference is in the number of bag gawks there are before the bawk bawk bawk starts and those even are different they are all higher pitched and very fast where as the egg song is much more relaxed and longer bawks and the patteren is. more like this .. bawk bawk baggawk! bawk bawk baggawk... the preditor is baggawk baggawk baggawk baggawk... and then as the thret has passex or passing the bawks come in between... thats my rendition of it anyway.:p

Back
Top Bottom