My chicken seems sick and acting like she has a cold...

MissAdelaide

Chirping
Aug 22, 2018
hello! I was hoping that I could get some help.
My 3 1/2 year old chook is clucky right now, but not laying. I haven’t seen her come out of the nesting box to eat or drink other than for the all important food scrap time every couple of days, when she and her buddy also go for food and water. I make her leave the nest when I let the others out, and bring out the water.
Today I took her out and found her breathing croaky, like if a human had a chesty cough. When I put her down she kind of coughed. I am worried about her, help would be appreciated ASAP!

Meg.

Just reread the post and Is the hen flattening herself into the eggbox kind of like she wants to fill up the whole box? What are the chances that she is broody and what breed is she?
Thanks for the reply. She is broody, that's what I mean by 'clucky', its another word for broody. She is a light Sussex and a very big chicken. Her crop is soft and empty.

Ok, that explains a lot. How is she doing today? Does her face seem swollen at all?
She is looking better, but my other chicken is definitely sick with a respiratory infection. We checked up his throat to see mucas, and a ball of dried mucas stuck to the inside of his beak that I was unable to remove. I got some antibiotics for him but have read that they are not very good... What should I do?

Does he have any yellow plaques or patches inside his beak that could be canker? How does it smell? What type of antibiotic do you have? Can you describe all of the symptoms in the other chicken?

Back
Top Bottom