My chicken sounds like a Squeek toy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Biddieacres, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Has this ever happened to anyone here? It is very loud and it sounds exactly like someone stepped on a dog's squeek toy. I think I know which hen is doing it but they just keep foraging as if nothing happened.

What could this sound be? I hope it isn't choking.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Chickens make lots of different noises. Spend some time with them, figure out which one it is and then observe to make certain that it's OK.

3. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    One of my 7 month olds made that sound yesterday for the first time. I was very surprised, but after watching her she seemed to be sneezing. I don't think she is sick, she was just dust bathing and probably got some up her nose. Is it possible that yours was sneezing?

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh OK, maybe it is a sneeze. I thought it was a choke because the one time I think I caught who it was, she was eating fast.

She seemed fine after that. Then I heard it again and I know it wasn't her.....so I thought maybe this is something they all do. [​IMG]

5. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

You mentioned she was eating at the time. Mine sometimes makes a sort of squeaking noise when he seems to be really enjoying his food. Could that be it?

6. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Yes she was really enjoying the food......I am just glad they are OK after it because I don't know how to give the heimlich manuever to a chicken! [​IMG] That would be a sight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by