My chicken tractor coop build

So, we have a 10 acre property, but it is not fenced in and i am sure there are quite a few different predators that would like to eat our chicks, and after long planning and searching i have decided to build a chicken coop that i can move with my tractor once every couple of weeks to fresh grass, we have about 500 feet of fairly flat ground and i am planning to just move it back and forth. An inspiration for me was the carolina coops black and blue modern vegas coop but with modifications to keep it mobile. I am a fairly lasy person and the idea of having a small coop and cleaning it often did not appeal to me, so this will be about 30 feet long.
Now i am in the construction business so i get a bunch of stuff for free and that allows me to build it fairly cheap. First thing i got 8x 16 foot 2x8 that i glued and nailed into 2 long skids and have a 2x6 plate at the bottom. theory is it should slide on the grass fairly easy but have not tested yet so we will see, i think the tractor will make short work of it though so i am not too worried.
The coop is raised about 2 feet from the ground and made it similar to a pole barn that are glued nailed and screwed with 2 lag bolts on a lap joint , they are pretty sturdy, even with just the roof and floor framing. This will have a metal roof which will have 2 foot overhangs all around.
The run will be the same idea, 4x4s and half of it will have a metal roof and half will just leave hardware cloth, just in case they want to get a tan :D
These are some pics of the progress so far, i have about 5 weeks till they will be ready to move in so i have to get it done by then.
Lucky chickens. This will be the Taj Mahal of chicken coops!

Its not really that big of a coop though, only 8 by 30F, i got 24 chicks apparently :D i thought i have 23 till like 2 days ago :D

Back
Top Bottom