My chicken won’t move eat or drink on her own! Please any advice would be helpful!

sherriw23

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Hello I have a road island red who won’t stand at all! I have been hand feeding and giving her water with electro lights and vitamins and garlic and oregano powder! He is inside and kept warm and calm but Only using her head and neck to move what little she does! Her croop is a normal bright red and her pool is firm and looks normal! Not sure what is wrong! When I give her water she does make some sound like when your hungry sounds not sure how to describe it! Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated! Also about w month back she was having some breathing problems but I gave her some care and I thought she was better! Also have two chickens that seem to be sneezing and one that’s comb is a little dark on top and a little lethargic! This is so overwhelming at times

Attachments

• 8E4E7399-5390-4964-B00B-4B0636B68A52.jpeg
    8E4E7399-5390-4964-B00B-4B0636B68A52.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 7
I took a few more pictures when I got her out to give her some fluids

Attachments

• 89C8DC80-B3B8-4FFA-93D4-68ADE00E0F25.jpeg
    89C8DC80-B3B8-4FFA-93D4-68ADE00E0F25.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 07F4F99C-5551-4B56-8334-114541A0058B.jpeg
    07F4F99C-5551-4B56-8334-114541A0058B.jpeg
    694.3 KB · Views: 4
At this point anything. You need to check if egg bound as this will cause lameness. Enroflaxcin or Doxycycline is broad spectrum and usually covers most gram negative bacteria.

Hello I have a road island red who won’t stand at all! I have been hand feeding and giving her water with electro lights and vitamins and garlic and oregano powder! He is inside and kept warm and calm but Only using her head and neck to move what little she does! Her croop is a normal bright red and her pool is firm and looks normal! Not sure what is wrong! When I give her water she does make some sound like when your hungry sounds not sure how to describe it! Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated! Also about w month back she was having some breathing problems but I gave her some care and I thought she was better! Also have two chickens that seem to be sneezing and one that’s comb is a little dark on top and a little lethargic! This is so overwhelming at times
I don't know much about chicken sicknesses, one time one got an ear infection and so they couldn't balance and couldn't walk a straight line and would fall over and we gave it antibiotics in it's water and it felt better. Antibiotics is probably your best option at this point. Isolate the other two as well, the one that is sneezing and the one that's lethargic. This sounds like it may be contagious. Isolate the other two from eachother and from the flock. Chances are they have the same disease but may have a different one. If you can determine they all have the same disease you could try and keep them together, but whatever you do get them away from the other chickens.

I am a duck person, not chickens but all the research, PUBMED databases, etc always uses chickens so I read chicken studies and apply them to my ducks as there are very few duck studies.

I have lost 2 ducks to egg binding. Both times, she could not walk. The vet said that many times the infection causes egg binding. So by the time we discover egg bound she will have the original bacteria, which causes the egg binding, plus the new bacteria from having the partial obstruction. He said, in his experience, it is almost always bacteria or a pathogen that causes the egg binding to begin with. Many times upper respiratory infection that travels to reproductive system.

There are many posts on checking for egg binding. Just FYI, the post will say if you cannot feel egg then not bound which is NOT true as both ducks I went 4 inches in and there was not any egg that could be felt but on necropsy they were egg bound. The post will also say if pooping then not egg bound. Also, not true as both of mine continued to use the bathroom but it was foul smelling and green.

Good luck. Hopefully some chicken people chime in to help.

Back
Top Bottom