my chicken wont lay eggs i barley bought it

Why did someone sell you a dirty chicken? Why did you buy it in that condition? How old did they say she is? Is she your only chicken now?

I agree with the others, that there are many factors that can throw a laying hen off her groove, but with time & patient good care she should be back in business for you. Best wishes to you & this hen!

what!!!! you are kidding right?

to op: if it is new to the surroundings it might take a while I looked at the pic does it have a coop? where did you get this chicken?

Last edited:
well its been a week its still not laying eggs but ill wait when do u guys think it will start??

oh and i bought my chicken nice and clean the other ones looked sick

i bought mines at blacksmiths corner on lakewood
it looks like a barn and has a giant bunny?

anyone have been there?

You hen appears to be an ISA Brown. They are fantastic layers but are often spent by the time they are 3 years old. So in fact she may not lay again, she may be too old. She appears to be entering or finishing a molt as well. Try giving her a handful of a high protein treat like Black Oil sunflower seeds once a day and see if that helps her along.

Congradulations on your first chicken and Welcome to BYC!

I got a chicken from a really nice lady last summer, along with 3 others... the Buff Orp was laying (actually laid an egg in the box during transport), the 2 easter eggers took about a month or 2 to lay an egg, and the cuckoo maran JUST laid her first egg this week.... they were all the same age, and it was a combination (on the CM's part) i think of stress of the move, being ornery, and then the icky weather, and the pervasive cold and darkness of winter... now that spring is almost around the corner, and the light has increased, she laid an egg! Good luck, I bet with patience, kindness and maybe getting another chicken or 2 (younger ones?) you'll eventually get eggs.

how much did you pay for this chicken? You may want to go back, and demand a refund if you paid more than like $5... not that your chicken is defective, or broken, but it is not in the condition I would expect if I had bought a bird... I bet you can get her back in good condition with some TLC, but seriously, I wouldn't just let them get away with that kind of sale.

She's a real beaut!
I hope you enjoy her allot. She looks like she could be very sweet.
I would think with her new home and a bath -a week or so to get comfortable and you can get an egg a day (mol)

Back
Top Bottom