My chicken won't leave its nest?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bonnie4girls, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Bonnie4girls

Bonnie4girls New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    Hi I'm new
    I have 4chickens
    2 road island reds
    2 sexlinks
    There a just over 1 1/2 years old one of my sexlinks is not feeling well over a week now
    She won't come out of bed unless I bring her out to drink and eat if I didn't bring her out she wouldn't come out she's always fluffing her feathers
    It has been really hot here lately so I put this powder with electrolytes and vitamins in there water still no change is she fixable ?
    :(:(:(

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if she has gone broody. Is she clucking a lot, fluffing up, screeching when you move her, and passing really foul feces? If any of your answers are 'yes', she is probably broody.

1 person likes this.
  3. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Sounds like she is broody. Is she sitting on eggs? If so she will stay there until you break her of being broody or you get her eggs or chicks. This is just my experience with what my hen did. My 1-1/2 year old rir just went broody and since I don't have a rooster I got her some baby chicks and now she is very happy

4. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    i have to agree

5. Bonnie4girls

Bonnie4girls New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    Broody yes that's exactly what's wrong thank-you for your help I thought she was sick I feel so much better now ...
    Now I have to snap her out of this [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by