My chickens and chicks.... *IMG HEAVY*

CyndiChick

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Florida
These are my chickens and chicks. Two grown hens, one grow rooster, and the jury's still out on the 11 chicks (though I think at least several are roos.)
Gramps and Crazy B****... She's the last of the original set of chicks we got. And she is crazy but a darn good layer! (anyone know what breed gramps might be?)

This is my autistic son's chicken, aptly named Blacktail.

This is Al (Or Alanna depending on gender...)

One of the roos in the back, and not sure what breed the whitish one in the front is.

This is Feisty... not sure if its a boy or girl but it is very friendly and curious!

A couple of our bantam chicks

I'm interested to know what breed or mix this little guy is... the first three pics are him and his coloring, the last is what I believe is a hen of the same breed/mix. As itty bitty chicks they were all yellow with no other coloring.

OK yesterday was oh so fun... Had to separate out the cochins because they were picking on the three smaller chicks in the baby pen. Just built a new 8 ft long, 4 ft wide pen this weekend so I popped them in there. (And then crawled in after them for petting and cuddles time LOL) Turns out, they were still small enough to get through the fencing. *sigh* 9 PM last night, hubby and I are outside calling for them because two of the roos got out. We were searching the wood behind the pen, the yard around it, all over. Then we heard peeps and started trying to follow them. Turns out they were roosting on top of the other 8ft pen section, roosting and laughing at us! We got them, and put them in that part which has a bit smaller wire. Moved the other two over to join them and the four bigger guys that were in there already. Everyone settled in, but they were all roosting on the same pole which actually sticks out the side, and that put them closer to the side of the cage and made easy coon targets....So I was out there wiring covers across the ends of all the roost poles to prevent that til about midnight. At least they are safe!

Lost some of our chicks last night. Lost both cochin hens, one cochin rooster, and the production red hen. Apparently either the coon is now immune to the repellent or it wore off quicker than usual. Very sad... lost Curious who was my little cochin hen friend.
hit.gif
She'd come sit in my lap, and got mad if I showed the other chicks affection. She'd start pecking my toes. We now have two cochin roosters, one red rooster, the EE, the two littlest roosters, and one RIR hen chick left. Going to have to get some more bantam chicks (hopefully hens!). Spent the day putting hardware cloth on the breeding pen and turning it into Fort Knox. Its layered poultry netting with hardware cloth over top, reinforced outside the hardware cloth with 1X6 boards. Cloth is stapled to the inside of the boards and they are in turn nailed onto the 4x4 posts of the pen.

Lost some of our chicks last night. Lost both cochin hens, one cochin rooster, and the production red hen. Apparently either the coon is now immune to the repellent or it wore off quicker than usual. Very sad... lost Curious who was my little cochin hen friend.
hit.gif
She'd come sit in my lap, and got mad if I showed the other chicks affection. She'd start pecking my toes. We now have two cochin roosters, one red rooster, the EE, the two littlest roosters, and one RIR hen chick left. Going to have to get some more bantam chicks (hopefully hens!). Spent the day putting hardware cloth on the breeding pen and turning it into Fort Knox. Its layered poultry netting with hardware cloth over top, reinforced outside the hardware cloth with 1X6 boards. Cloth is stapled to the inside of the boards and they are in turn nailed onto the 4x4 posts of the pen.
That is terrible! I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif
Those coons are so clever, I really hope you don't lose heart. I'm sure the new Fort Knox will work.

Coon did not get into Fort Knox last night *happy dance* Coon also got shot because I was waiting out there for him *very happy dance* I'm sure there are more around, so the chicks in the other breeding pen/small run have been moved back into the baby cage inside the main coop, and the other pen will now be turned into fort knox 2. I am going to be ordering some chicks (it helps that the son's birthday is Friday so we can get him a new chick, since his was one we lost.) Any ideas on best place to get Bantam Cochins?

He likes them because they are smaller, soft, and silky. And they are friendly and eat out of his hand. We have to work on the naming of the pets though.... He just named our two bantam cochin roosters Fluffybutt and Softypants *bangs head on wall*

My friend had a bantam silkie rooster called Seapod. I thought that was a beautiful name.

Back
Top Bottom